Pumpkin Spice

Courtesy Google Images

Courtesy Google Images

Grace Doerfler '18 and Kara Puszko '18, News Editor and Features Editor

As soon as the first leaves begin to fall, a remarkable change transforms America. Almost overnight, Starbucks shoves humble coffee aside and spotlights its showier counterpart: the pumpkin spice latte. Giant Eagle displays huge pyramids of pumpkin pie essentials, and the limited edition pumpkin pie Pop Tarts arrive. Adults and children alike anticipate the arrival of this classic fall flavor. With autumn comes a remarkable pumpkin craze–but what’s behind the obsession?  

Craig Street, Oakland Catholic’s home territory, is peppered with pumpkin options for passers-by with the arrival of autumn. At the corner of Craig and Forbes, the scent of pumpkin wafts out of Starbucks: pumpkin spice lattes are being prepared within. The beverage is so popular that Starbucks makes $80 million a year from the pumpkin spice latte alone. Across the street from Starbucks, Bagel Factory offers a plethora of milkshake flavors–but only in autumn does the pumpkin cake milkshake arrive!

This pumpkin spice craze could be the result of the flavor being a limited time only product, and that pumpkin fans want to purchase it while they still can. It could also be a result of positive word of mouth encouraging more people want to try the products. People talk about their excitement for pumpkin spice before products are even out yet! There’s certainly a variety of options to choose from. Pumpkin spice coffee, cookies, bread, or pie can make the colder weather more enjoyable. Junior Hannah Baranowski raves about Williams-Sonoma pumpkin bread with pumpkin butter. Emily Laird, a sophomore, loves pumpkin chocolate muffins and pumpkin gobs (pumpkin cake filled with cream cheese icing), and she and her family rank pumpkin rolls and pumpkin pie among the favorites as well.

But is all the pumpkin too much? Perhaps pumpkin spice dog chews, air fresheners, bar soaps, and perfumes are excessive, and many think these products are unnecessary. As far as food products go, however, Americans are determined to get their daily doses of pumpkin spice from September through Thanksgiving. Pumpkin spice will hang on for a little longer… at least, until Thanksgiving ends and peppermint takes over!

Hungry for pumpkin now? Try this recipe for pumpkin drop cookies with a vanilla glaze!

(Makes approximately 30 cookies)

Ingredients

• 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
  • 1 cup Libby’s® 100% Pure Pumpkin
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Glaze (recipe follows)

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350℉. Grease baking sheets.
  2. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in medium bowl. Beat sugar and butter in large mixer bowl until well blended. Beat in pumpkin, egg, and vanilla extract until smooth. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets.
  3. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Drizzle glaze over cookies.

For Glaze

Combine 2 cups sifted powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons milk, 1 tablespoon melted butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract in small bowl until smooth.