Music News

Maggie Leone ‘17 and Isabella Very ‘17, Sports Editor and Staff Writer

Courtesy of Google Images
Courtesy of Google Images

One Direction – Made in the A.M.:

One Direction, the first band to have their first three albums debut at the top of the Billboard 200, is probably most remembered for the success of their very first single, “What Makes You Beautiful”, which was released right after their elimination off of the X Factor. With the success of their first two albums, Up All Night and Take Me Home, they built an immense fan base, primarily consisting of teenage girls. One Direction initially began as a boy band, comprised of Liam Payne, Louis Tomlinson, Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, and Harry Styles.  Their original style of music could be described as classic pop, portraying their strong personalities and opening them to their fans.  Their middle albums Midnight Memories and FOUR explore a different sound than the first two, diving into more rock and indie roots. Now, having lost fifth member Zayn Malik and having announced a year long hiatus, the group has released their fifth album, Made in the A.M., which explores an entirely different sound from their first singles. Nearly all of the songs on the new album, which was promised to be the “best one yet,” were written by the four remaining members, who have reported being influenced by Fleetwood Mac, Paul Simon, and of course, their British predecessors, the Beatles. Not only has Made in the A.M. lived up to the singers’ guarantees, but it has exceeded fans’ expectations.

5 Seconds of Summer – Sounds Good Feels Good:

Unlike One Direction, Australian band 5 Seconds of Summer have abandoned their previous label of “boy band” with their new album Sounds Good Feels Good. The four, slightly younger members, Ashton Irwin, Luke Hemmings, Calum Hood, and Michael Clifford, actually got their start touring with their supposed British counterparts and, they say, still look up to them as a great influence as young performers, however, their style of music now drastically differs from One Direction’s, drifting towards more punk influences rather than the 80s soft rock in the Brits’ recent hits. The four young Australians have been very open with what inspired them for this new album and new sound. They’ve repeated in many interviews that they don’t want to be a band that comes and goes, but one that grows up with today’s teenagers and really means something in their adolescence. In keeping with this ideal, their new songs feature themes that many teenagers struggle with, including their parents’ divorce, the feeling of “invisibility”, and, of course, love. They’ve always accredited their style to influences from other bands that they listened to during their formative years such as Green Day and All Time Low, which is increasingly prevalent in their newest songs.  

Twenty One Pilots Concert – Wednesday, June 1st – Emotional Roadshow Tour:

Oakland Catholic was alight with activity when alternative duo Twenty One Pilots announced their Pittsburgh show. Girls ran through the halls to alert their friends of the news and immediately made plans to attend the show.  But there is a catch – the concert is during finals week here at OC, though many students are planning to attend regardless. Twenty One Pilots, composed of lead singer Tyler Joseph and drummer Joshua Dun, explores a new sound.  Their songs are described as alternative, but the duo dips into rap as well.  Their latest album, Blurryface, which dropped in May of 2015, was the band’s highest charting album, as it debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200.  It sold 147,000 copies in the U.S. in its first week, marking that band’s highest opening week in the nation.  Fans in the Pittsburgh area are anxiously waiting until Twenty One Pilots make their appearance in June, and the show is sure to be fantastic.