A Mix-Up on the Oscar Floor

Maggie Leone '17, Sports Editor

Hollywood hit La La Land, directed by Damian Chazelle, and starring Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling, flourished during awards season, with many wins…and a few, uh…upsets.  Nominated for seven Golden Globes, the film swept, winning all seven. Also nominated for fourteen Oscars, the film earned five (and almost six).  The Academy Award Ceremony had been going smoothly for the La La Land folks.  They had just won Best Actress and Best Director when it was time for the Best Picture Award.  Presenters Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway stepped up to the mic and announced…La La Land had won yet another award!  The people involved all gathered on the stage and began their speeches when there was some strange, awkward shuffling on stage and they started dispersing because…Moonlight had won?  Another Steve Harvey moment in the entertainment business!  The wrong contestant had been claimed the victor!  Beatty and Dunaway had been given the wrong envelope, resulting in a very awkward encounter.  The La La Land affiliates were very gracious, however, and praised the people of Moonlight, congratulating them through their shock.

Many people, though they thoroughly enjoyed the film, wondered if it was truly worthy of all of the Golden Globe Awards it had won.  But clearly, the Academy thought it deserved recognition as well, seeing as it garnered fourteen nominations.  La La Land, classified as a musical romantic comedy-drama, tells the story of two young lovers, fighting to make it big in Hollywood.  The combination of the enchanting love story and the phenomenal soundtrack, La La Land is a delight to watch (and to sing along to).

__________________________________________________________________________

Golden Globe Awards:

• Best Musical or Comedy Motion Picture
  • Best Director of a Motion Picture
  • Best Screenplay of a Motion Picture
  • Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy Motion Picture
  • Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy Motion Picture
  • Best Original Score

Oscar Awards:

• Best Actress
  • Best Director
  • Best Original Music Score
  • Best Cinematography
  • Best Production Design