Just Thinking Out Loud: Ed Sheeran Gives A Great Show

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bella Enfield '19, Staff Writer

There was a line that started at the doors of the PPG Paints Arena that went around the corner and down the street a bit. Everyone was excited to be there and there was an energy that could only be described as excitement. The line moved quickly and soon enough, we were inside the arena. It was a madhouse inside. People swarmed around merchandise tables, hoping to by a concert t-shirt before they sold out. Vendors for every sort of thing, food, drink, other concerts being held in the arena, tried to sell their wares before the show started. As everyone made their way to their seats, the low rumble of voices combined with the pre-show music being played and the exhilaration of being at a concert made for a dizzying effect.

Before anyone knew what was happening, the lights dimmed and the opening act came on stage. The crowd screamed in anticipation as James Blunt took his spot behind the microphone. He played a good bit of new music plus an old favorite that everyone knew, “You’re Beautiful,” all the while keeping up a stream of witty banter that made the audience laugh. After his set was over, he signed autographs and took pictures with fans.

The lights went up and a renewed sense of energy for the main event of the concert took over. It was only fifteen minutes of waiting, but for some, it felt like an eternity. Suddenly, the lights went out again and another scream rose, louder than any previous ones. Then, the man himself, Ed Sheeran, came on stage armed only with a guitar, a microphone, and a few loop pedals. The concert started with his song “Castle on A Hill,” a song reminiscent of the olden days and coming home, a feeling most Sheerios (the name given to Sheeran fans) must have related with.

The concert was loud, fun, and most importantly entertaining. Sheeran gives a great show, being the only person on the stage. He boldly does what no artist before has done before and makes all of the different parts of the song himself. It makes a tense build-up for fans before he begins to sing and an impressive build-up at that. The beginning of every song left me wondering what he was about to play until the familiar melody was added on top of the building parts of the tune. He also makes hilarious jokes in between his songs and thanks everyone for clapping and screaming after each one, too.

Not only is Sheeran’s showmanship incredible, but so is his voice and his ability to make relatable music. Many of the people in attendance to hear Sheeran sing were couples, and although my companions and I felt as though we were third-wheeling the entire stadium, it speaks volumes of how many different people enjoy his music. Overall, the Ed Sheeran concert was fantastic and a great way to spend a Tuesday night, other than doing homework, of course. If you didn’t get the opportunity to see him, I highly recommend seeing him the next time he’s in Pittsburgh. By the end of the concert, I was sad to see him go, but happy that I got to see him in the first place.