Murder on the Orient Express – Movie Review

Meghan Pavlick '21, Staff Editor

The movie, Murder on the Orient Express, is closely based on Agatha Christie’s novel

of the same title. This movie starts out in Jerusalem during the 1930’s where we are

introduced to our main character, Hercule Poirot. Poirot is widely considered to be the

world’s best detective and has quite the reputation around the world for being able to solve

any mystery at hand. After solving yet another mystery, Poirot decides to head home to

Belgium for a much-needed break and receives a coveted spot on the Orient Express from an

old acquaintance, Bouc. The Orient Express is a luxurious and quirky passenger train

known to be one of the most glamorous ways to travel. However, Poirot’s plans of relaxing

are quickly diminished when he is enlisted by Bouc to help solve the murder of one of the

passengers onboard the Orient Express. Amidst Poirot’s investigation of the crime an

avalanche occurs and the train is forced off the tracks. 

Murder on the Orient Express is also set up for a sequel, since it was most likely based on Agatha Christie’s Death on the Nile.  However, the star-studded cast including Kenneth Branagh, Johnny Depp, Judi Dench, and Leslie Odom Jr. make the movie so much more unpredictable and therefore, much more enjoyable. Overall, I give this movie a very high rating for the suspense, acting, scenery, and the actual storyline.