Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again Mania

Vanessa Moats '22, Staff Writer

For ten years,  we have “had a dream” about this long awaited sequel, and now it has finally arrived. Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again did not disappoint the imagination of all the fans who have looked forward to the sequel. The movie takes the viewers back to the island where Sophie (Amanda Seyfried), with the help of Sam (Pierce Brosnan), is running the hotel that her mother left behind. Through many flashbacks, we get to look through old memories of young Donna (Lily James) and accompany her on the journey of meeting young Harry (Hugh Skinner), Bill (Josh Dylan), and Sam (Jeremy Irvine), eventually leading up to her arriving on the iconic island. The movie, like the former Mamma Mia film, uses ABBA’s beloved songs as part of the dialogue, helping you to fall for the lovable characters all over again. The sequel also includes a guest cameo from Cher, who plays Sophie’s grandmother. Yet another character to fall in love with!

Movie critics loved the new renditions of ABBA songs and its box office success helped the movie stay in the theaters for a little over two months. Entertainment Weekly’s Leah Greenblatt said, “A shiny-bright jukebox musical with a heart of gold and a plot of pure polyester, Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again works hard to be the feel-giddy movie experience of the summer. And it mostly succeeds in its own glittery, aggressively winsome way.”  While many people loved this movie, critics were not a fan of the various plot holes and the using of ABBA’s second and third tier songs. Wesley Morris from the New York Times says,  “And you’re going to keep the musical’s Abba-centric conceit — only you used up all the great Abba songs the first time. So now you’ve got to lean on second- and third-tier stuff like ‘My Love, My Life,’ ‘I’ve Been Waiting for You,’ and ‘Kisses of Fire.’”

Although it was enjoyed by many and hated by some, Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again received an overall positive rating. I went to see the movie and still can’t stop singing the catchy tunes. The soundtrack made everyone anxious for the movie release, so even if you didn’t go see it, there is no doubt that you have heard and enjoyed some songs from the soundtrack. My favorite songs from the soundtrack are, “Super Trouper,” “Why Did It Have to Be Me?,” “Waterloo,” “Mamma Mia,” “I Have a Dream,” and “Dancing Queen.”  If you didn’t see it in theaters, it’s definitely worth a Redbox rental or streaming.