The Incredible Incredibles 2

Brooke Mlecko '22, Staff Writer

Disney Pixar’s Incredibles 2 has been a long time in the making. Since the release of The Incredibles on November 5, 2004, fans had been awaiting news about a possible second film, and finally received confirmation from Bob Iger, Disney CEO and Chairman, that a sequel was being produced. The first trailer was shown to audiences on November 18, 2017 and the movie itself was released this past summer on June 15. Opening weekend was a rousing success, surpassing the Box Office record set by Finding Dory with a hearty $180 million. The sequel has received fantastic reviews and has a 94% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Incredibles 2 begins right where the original movie left off, with the Underminer threatening Metroville. We follow the Incredibles and their super friends, in their pursuit to legalize superheroes once again. One change from the original movie is now Helen Parr, Elastigirl, is front and center. She becomes the spokesperson for the company run by Winston Deavor and his sister Evelyn Deavor, who are campaigning for the legalization supers. She fights a new villain, the Screenslaver, who is against superheroes, claiming they make the population lazy. While Elastigirl is out working as a super, Mr. Parr, or Mr. Incredible, is at home watching his children, which proves to be a troublesome as he soon finds out that his youngest, Jack-Jack, has developed an array of powers. While the audience has a few laughs from the family’s predicament, the question still stands: will superheroes become legal?

Incredibles 2 showcases the excellent animation of Disney Pixar through the fast paced chase scenes and the amazing animation of Jack-Jack’s powers. However, one concern that has been voiced is that one of the animation sequences contains flashing light that may negatively affect people with photo epilepsy. Despite this, however, the movie has already won awards, such as the Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie of the Summer.

The movie is enjoyable to most Disney Pixar fans, however, there have been critics about the plot being recycled. While some critics say the plot has been seen before, the movie maintains its charm and is enjoyable for any Disney Pixar fan. I would recommend it to any friend who wants to watch a quality movie.