Wish You Were Here: Travis Scott Electrifies PPG Paints

Annie Snyder ‘21

Let’s just say that, if you were not there, you wish you went to Travis Scott’s ‘Wish You Were Here’ concert.  The long-awaited return to Pittsburgh did not disappoint. The concert was postponed two hours from the original start time, with doors opening at 8:30. While I had friends who waited in the line for almost 2 hours and even missed the opening acts, Sheck Wes and Trippie Redd, I went straight through the front entrance of PPG Paints Arena in about 20 minutes. The announcements about the time changes all said that the concert would begin at 9:30, however Sheck Wes took the stage slightly before 9. The miscommunication led many people, including myself, to miss the song they were waiting for: “Mo Bamba.” Fortunately, the disappointment stopped there. I made it in time to see my favorite Trippie Redd song, “Wish,” and all of Gunna’s set. Gunna performed his hits, “Never Recover” and “Drip Too Hard,” really hyping up the crowd in anticipation for Travis. Finally, the wait was over. Flashing lights and fire illuminated the arena as Travis popped up from the B stage, directly in front of my seat. He opened with “Stargazing,” and even rode on a rollercoaster during Carousel. He performed a few more of his old hits, and made his way to the main stage in the front of the venue.  At one point in the show, giant, billowing pieces of fabric dropped from the ceiling as different pictures and videos were projected onto them. That was a nice perk for the people sitting in nosebleeds, as they could see the entire picture. Travis’s final trick up his sleeve was yet another rollercoaster, this one spanning the length of the entire arena. He even grabbed a fan from the audience to ride with him while he performed. Travis performed his recent hits, “ZEZE” and “Can’t Say,” as well as some oldies, including “90210” and an a capella “3500.” To no one’s surprise, he closed out his show with an electric performance of “Sicko Mode,” ending with a mini firework show inside. Travis Scott’s concert was undeniably a blast, and unlike any other concert I have been to before.