Queen: A Cultural Phenomena

Isabella Viator '22, Staff Writer

“You will remember, when this is blown over

And everything’s all by the way
When I grow older, I will be there at your side, to remind you
How I still love you

I still love you”

-Love of My Life (Queen)

On July 13th, 1985, Freddie Mercury and the dazzling band of Queen lit up the stage at Live Aid, a concert that worked to help people in the famine in Africa. For years before this concert, the band Queen touched the lives of millions of people all over the world. The recently released bio-pic Bohemian Rhapsody, tells the tale of this legendary band, reaching the ears of long time Queen fanatics, as well as an entirely new generation of fans. Social media is exploding with tributes to the band and words of love and respect for Mercury and the band members. There is of no doubt that these men have impacted so many people through their inspiring energy and music. The big question is: did the movie do justice to the rich history of Queen?

Many professional critiques are displeased with the movie. With a 62% rating on Rotten Tomato, critics felt that the creators of the movie took a safe route and depicted the band as very two dimensional. Carly Lewis simply states, “Freddie Mercury deserves better.” While many critics did rave about the movie, especially the performance of Rami Malek, many others complained about the structure of the plot. Critiques boldly stated that the movie was only interesting because of the soundtrack.

The reception of the movie by the common theater-goer was quite different. Amateur reviewers have written mostly positive words about this film. In fact, 92% of amateur critiques on Rotten Tomato loved the movie. Besides the high ratings, there is more proof that the world has fallen in love with Queen all over again. Instagram accounts and YouTube compilations all dedicated to Queen have surfaced in the past few weeks. Queen has reached a whole new demographic sheerly because of the publicity that the movie has received.

Overall, the reception of this movie is quite like the reception of the band by the public when it first became popular. There is a fine split between those who loved the movie and those who hated the movie. Whether it was a success or not, nobody can deny that the fact that the movie that was produced shows how timeless the story and music of Queen is. Despite negative reactions, they will continue to be represented in popular culture. Whether you love the music of Queen or have barely heard of the band, I would definitely recommend seeing this movie.    

Work Cited

staff, Chosen by RT, et al. “Bohemian Rhapsody.” Rotten Tomato , www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bohemian_rhapsody/#contentReviews.