The Hate U Give

Nyiah Lance ‘22, Staff Writer

Starr Carter, a junior in high school, lives in the low income community of Garden Heights. She attends the predominantly white school, Williamson, leaving her to have “two lives.” There’s the “Williamson” Starr and a “Garden Heights” Starr.

One weekend while attending a party with her close friend, Kenya, Starr is reunited with her one of her two childhood best friends, Khalil. While they exchange a few words, a fight breaks out followed by gunshots. Khalil and Starr flee the party. On their way to Starr’s house the two are pulled over by a police officer, “One-Fifteen”. The officer asks Khalil to step out of the car after the two get into light conflict. When the officer goes back to his car to check Khalil’s license and registration, Khalil moves out of the spot the cop told him to stay in to check on Starr. A worried Starr orders Khalil to go back to his respected position, instead Khalil reaches into his car and reaches for a hairbrush, a single gunshot throws Khalil to the ground.

Starr is haunted by the tragic event of seeing her friend shot at the hands of a police officer and must face many hardships of being the only witness. Not only does the tragedy put her in a crossroads for speaking up and keeping quiet, but it also challenges her safety and tests her friendships and relationship with her boyfriend, Chris. Threats from a local gang leader and making her voice heard keep her wondering if justice will ever be served in Khalil’s name.

Starring Amandla Stenberg, KJ Apa, Algee Smith, Regina Hall, Russell Hornsby, Anthony Mackie, and Issa Rae, The Hate U Give is a great movie based on a great book. Its a movie that will pull on the heartstrings of anyone in the audience.

I recommend this movie, 10/10! Unfortunately, it is no longer in theaters, but will be available on DVD soon.