Celebrating the 61st Grammy Awards

Annie Snyder '21, Magazine Editor

The 61st Grammy Awards were held on February 10, 2019 in Los Angeles with Alicia Keys as host.  Stepping out of their limos, stars wowed on the red carpet. Specifically, Cardi B proved to be quite an eyeful in her avant-garde clam inspired couture dress, a vintage Thierry Mugler.  Lady Gaga also looked chic in a glittering asymmetrical silver gown. Kacey Musgraves, the big winner of the night, Miley Cyrus, and Jennifer Lopez all looked gorgeous. As for the awards, Alicia kicked off the show with Lady Gaga, Jada Pinkett Smith, Jennifer Lopez, and Michelle Obama.  Ariana Grande won her first Grammy for Best Pop Vocal Album, although she did not attend due to an argument with a Grammy producer that blew up on Twitter a few days before. There were even a few awards with two separate winners such as Kendrick Lamar’s “King’s Dead” and Anderson Paak’s “Bubblin” for Best Rap Performance.  Kacey Musgraves won the award for all four of her nominations, including the coveted Album of the Year. Despite Childish Gambino’s refusal to perform and attend, he was one of the big winners with the awards of Best Rap/Sung Performance, Record of the Year, and Song of the Year for “This is America,” beating out Oscar-winning “Shallow” and Drake’s “God’s Plan.”  Some may argue Travis Scott was snubbed his first Grammy despite four nominations and an explosive year. Yet he got his moment when he performed “Mile High” with James Blake and Philip Bailey, and “No Bystanders.” Another highlight was the fantastic Dolly Parton tribute which included Kacey Musgraves, Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, Maren Morris, Little Big Town, and of course Dolly herself.