They’ve Done It Again: The Launch of Disney+

Briana Fulciniti ‘20, Staff Writer

It is no surprise that Disney continues to find ways to encapsulate feelings of our childhood nostalgia while at the same time, drawing our attention towards something new in the future. 

On November 12,  2019, Disney did just that when they officially launched their newest addition to the company: Disney+. Disney+ is a subscription-based, online streaming service for movies and television. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Disney+ or those of you who just want to know more about it as a whole, I will do my best to paint a picture of its essence. 

I have had Disney+ for about three weeks. During these past few weeks I have compiled a list of pros and cons that will help you decide whether or not Disney+ is right for you. 

Pro #1: Extensive Library 

It is expected that Disney+ will have approximately 7,000 television episodes and 500 films, including content from Disney, Pixar, Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Fox, and National Geographic, as well as original television series and films from Disney Channel and Freeform, and select titles from 20th Century Fox Television and ABC Studios. Essentially, Disney+ has pretty much every show and movie from any Disney affiliated company… which there are a lot of. This means that there is likely to be something for everyone to enjoy. 

Pro #2: Targets All Audiences

Whether you are a toddler, an adolescent, a teen, a millennial, a parent or a grandparent, Disney+ is bound to have something that will interest you. From TV shows and movies ranging from the classics to new releases, its library is filled with content that is entertaining for all generations. Whether you are looking to have a family movie night or just spend some time watching nostalgic movies from your childhood, Disney+ provides an abundance of options for you to enjoy. 

Pro #3: Disney+ Exclusives 

Disney+ is home to many Disney+ exclusives. Without the subscription, these original movies and TV shows will not be shown on any other streaming service. Two of the most popular exclusives that were available at launch were  “The Mandalorian,” an exclusive Star Wars series, and “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series.” It is expected that Disney+ will launch more exclusives as time goes on, which is always something exciting to look forward to. 

Pro #4: Special/Bundle Packages

Disney+ offers really incredible specials and bundle packages so users can get the best deal for their subscription. First, if you are a Verizon wireless user for phones or television, you get Disney+ as an added benefit. Second, if you are looking to get the most for your money, Disney+ offers an exclusive bundle where you get a subscription to Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ all for the price of $12.99/month. Instead of paying for each individually, you get all three for a very reasonable price. 

Con #1: Just Another Streaming Service

If you are someone who is already subscribed to a few of the other popular streaming services, you might not want to add another one to your list. Even though Disney+ is $6.99 a month, if you are already paying $12.99 for Netflix and/or paying $5.99 – $44.99 for Hulu services, it might not be cost effective to have another streaming service. 

Con #2: Available on Fewer Platforms

As of right now, Disney+ is available on very few platforms. If you are someone who doesn’t own an Apple TV or a streaming stick, it might be hard to access the Disney+ shows and movies. There is a downloadable app for mobile use, but besides that, it requires more advanced technological platforms to view. 

In conclusion, I absolutely believe that Disney+ is definitely worth purchasing. The pros truly outweigh the cons. I can say with certainty that Disney+ is like no other. I think deep down we all have been waiting for a service that provides us with all of the Disney TV shows and films we used to love as kids, as well as the newer series that we have fallen in love with. Disney+ does just that. With its extensive library, capacity to reach all audience levels, exclusive shows and movies, and special bundle packages, Disney+ has it all.