Movie Cancellations

Bella Klein ‘22, Staff Writer

The COVID-19 pandemic has prevented many individuals from being able to partake in activities such as going to the movies. Prior to the pandemic, this year was supposed to be major for cinema with remakes, Oscar contenders, and the new installments for franchises such as Marvel. The highly anticipated film, A Quiet Place Part II was intended to be released on March 8, 2020, but due to COVID spread they moved their release date to April 23, 2021. The film will follow the Abbot family after the events of the first installment. Two other films pushed back are two musical films: In the Heights and West Side Story. In the Heights is the film version of Lin-Manuel Miranda’s musical with the same title. The musical gained wide success after winning a Tony for Best Musical, Best Original Score, and Best Choreography. The film will star Anthony Ramos as Usnavi de la Vega, a Dominican-American man in the New York neighborhood of Washington Heights. Currently, the film is expected to be released on June 18, 2021, almost a year difference after its initial release date. The West Side Story remake was also highly anticipated—not just for the excitement of a new Spielberg film, but also to see an accurate representation of Latino characters the 1960s version did not offer. West Side Story follows the same plotline as the musical and film, with the New York rival gangs, the Sharks and Jets, being at odds. Maria and Tony from the opposing sides fall in love. The search for Maria was a long one, but nineteen year old Rachel Zegler won the role while she was still in high school. Zegler will star alongside Ansel Elgort. West Side Story changed their December 18, 2020 release to December 10, 2021 in hopes to remain a possible Oscar contender.  Lastly, the Marvel film, Black Widow has been pushed back twice as well for a new date of May 7, 2021. Black Widow has an estimated budget of $150-200 million, so Marvel is relying on a successful box office movie release, a difficult achievement for any movie to receive given the pandemic. Although movie theaters are starting to open up again in the US, many individuals remain hesitant to go. Movie theaters are said to be taking proper COVID-19 precautions, so it is up to the potential audiences to choose if they wish to attend these films if they come out in the near future. All movies are subject to a change of date or way to view their films, but until then you can still watch new films released on Netflix, Disney +, and several other streaming platforms.