Trump’s Use of Twitter

Molly DeFilippo ‘17, News Editor

Unlike any president before him, one of President Trump’s main forms of communication with the American people is one of the most widely used social media platforms today: Twitter. Twitter is an online news and social networking source that allows users to interact by sending out tweets that are composed of 140 characters or less. Twitter was created in 2006 in San Francisco, California by Evan Williams, Noah Glass, Jack Dorsey, and Biz Stone. Since 2006, Twitter has rapidly grown, so much so that even our current President is an avid user.

During Trump’s campaign, some could say that his use of Twitter was a successful way of being accessible for voters. He was connecting with the American people through a medium that many people could relate to. Hillary Clinton had a much less extensive social media presence. Although Trump’s tweets were not always the most eloquent, his supporters recognized that he was reaching out to the American people.

Before Trump was in office, he admitted that he would continue to use Twitter, but keep it limited. “I’m going to do very restrained, if I use it at all, I’m going to do very restrained. I find it tremendous. It’s a modern form of communication. There should be nothing you should be ashamed of. It’s — it’s where it’s at,” he said. Like other Presidents, Trump has opinions and wants to make them known without having them filtered through the press. When President Obama became President, Twitter was only two years old and wasn’t as well known. In 2017, Twitter has become a platform that millions of people are using all day, every day. It is natural that Trump has taken to it and wants to use it to communicate with Americans, but as President of the United States, he should be held accountable to come across as a polished, eloquent leader, something he has failed to do thus far.

One thing that is causing some concern is the safety and security of the phone Trump is using for Twitter. In the first few weeks of his Presidency, he has continued to use his old, unsecured Android smartphone. This is concerning because it could be putting him and the nation at risk for security threats. If the phone were to connect to an unsecured wireless network it could be exposing his location or any other personal information that could be on the device. The use of an unsecured phone is irresponsible; it could affect the nation as whole if the phone were hacked or even stolen.

Overall, the use of Twitter to connect with the nation is good idea, especially if it is being used responsibly and the information being tweeted out is relevant and useful. Trump, however, should reevaluate his personal use of Twitter and make sure that it is presenting him in the most professional and trustworthy manner and not making the United States appear irresponsible to onlooking nations.