Women’s March 2018

Kavya Weaver '20, Staff Writer

On the weekend of January 20, hundreds of thousands of protesters around the world gathered for the 2nd annual Women’s March. Inspired by the slogan “Look back, march forward,” this march served as a commemoration and continuation of last year’s women’s march on Washington with countless women and men marching in opposition to sexism and intolerance, and in support of women’s rights, equality, and inclusion. Additionally, this year’s March promoted the message of “Power to the Polls,” spreading the message of how important voting is for everyone who wants to be politically active. Surging the streets of cities including Washington D.C., New York, Chicago, Boston, Los Angeles, Seattle, and our very own Pittsburgh, protesters fiercely marched to promote female empowerment, carrying signs with slogans like, “A Woman’s Place is in the Revolution” and “Nevertheless, She Persisted.” Since the first Women’s March one year ago, much has happened among women in this country. This year’s march was galvanized by female-empowering movements like #MeToo and Time’s Up. The end of 2017 was marked by a cultural revolution that sought to end sexual abuse and make victims’ voices heard. The momentum from last year has only continued to grow stronger, and 2018 is already being called “The Year of Women.” After being exposed as a perpetrator of sexual violence, Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein’s downfall set into motion a powerful campaign to end the exploitative systems of power that allow men to freely abuse women. Since Weinstein’s ruin, many more powerful men have been exposed by brave victims who have come forward to tell their stories. Women from across our nation and globe are uniting to declare that violence against women will no longer be tolerated, and many influential women are spearheading the conversation. Some of the celebrities who attended the Women’s March this year included Viola Davis, Mila Kunis, Jennifer Lawrence, and Natalie Portman, all of whom stand in solidarity with the Time’s Up movement, an anti-harassment action plan that provides legal support to those who have experienced abuse in the workplace. For many, participating in last year’s Women’s March was inspired by anger and sadness over the results of 2016’s election; this year, the march was driven by hope and optimism because things are finally starting to change for women. 2018 is off to a powerful start, and women’s voices will only grow stronger as the year progresses. As Oprah Winfrey said at the Golden Globes, “[A] new day is on the horizon! And when that new day finally dawns, it will be because of a lot of magnificent women…and some pretty phenomenal men, fighting hard to make sure that they become the leaders who take us to the time when nobody ever has to say ‘Me too’ again.”