We Will Never Forget – 17 Years After 9/11

[ABOVE] Inside 9/11 Memorial Museum - different shades of blue are considered to be the exact color of the sky on September 11th, 2001

Emma Holtz, Assistant Editor

Warm sun rays illuminated the New York City skyline on the morning of September 11th, 2001. Clear, blue sky could be seen for miles, until an explosion at 8:46 AM shook the United States to its core. Citizens witnessed hijacked American Airlines Flight 11 slam into the North Tower of the World Trade Center, and then a second hijacked plane slice into the South Tower at 9:03 AM. The Pentagon, targeted by hijackers aboard Flight 77, was directly hit at 9:37 AM. Government officials received word at 10:07 AM that a fourth hijacked plane was headed for the White House, but the 40 passengers aboard Flight 93 overtook the cockpit and crashed in Shanksville, Pennsylva

nia a short distance away from Pittsburgh. At this moment, every American began to realize that the United States was under a deliberate attack.

17 years later, Americans nationwide continue to unite together to honor the lives lost on 9/11. At Ground Zero in 2014, two enormous reflection pools (spanning the exact square footage of both towers) and the 9/11

9/11 Memorial Tower of Voices

Memorial Museum opened as a national memorial for the nearly 3,000 innocent American lives that were taken too soon. New York’s hustle and bustle seems to stand still at Ground Zero as millions visit each year to read victims’ names etched into the granite surrounding the pools. Names of the deceased are read out loud every year in New York and Pennsylvania, and television networks play back horrific footage in real time to remember each event chronologically. In Shanksville, the newly constructed Tower of Voices stands 93 feet tall in defiance of the failed terrorist hijacking. The Tower, filled with exactly 40 wind chimes, recalls the voices of those making heartbreaking phone calls to loved ones just before the crash occurred.

September 11th, 2001 marked a dark day in United States’ history, but brought forth a refreshing sense of patriotism and unity in citizens all around the nation. The slogan often associated with 9/11, “We Will Never Forget,” continues to live on as an unofficial anthem for generations of Americans and especially for the victims and heroes who sacrificed their lives to save others.

Pictures to use: All credit given to Google Images