Hola, Señora Checketts!

Maggie Leone '17, Staff Writer

Mrs. Checketts attended Bethel Park High School, where she played volleyball, participated in the Spanish club, and FCCLA (Family, Career and Community Leaders of America).  In high school, she went to Spain to sight-see and learn about the culture. She also travelled to Cuernavaca, Mexico, where she lived with a Mexican family, took classes, and enjoyed the sights and traditions of Mexican culture.  She continued her education at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe.  While she was there, she was the Treasurer of the Education Club, a tutor in World Language department, and a member in the Spanish Honors Society.  Mrs. Checketts was also the captain of the Intramural Volleyball team and participated in Intramural Softball.

As Mrs. Checketts decided what her career would be she chose to go with what she loved  –– Spanish.  “I wanted people to enjoy Spanish like I did” she said, so teaching was the perfect way to fulfill her dream.  Before coming to OC Mrs. Checketts had been teaching at Bishop Canevin High School for four years, but now that she is here she is very excited to teach at Oakland.  She says she “enjoy[s] teaching all girls because they are such hard workers.”  She also “loves the sense of community” here.  Not only is Mrs. Checketts excited to teach here, but she is also a Pittsburgh native!

Being a native, Mrs. Checketts has some favorite spots in the city, one of which is PNC Park.  And her favorite bridge, also baseball related, is the Roberto Clemente Bridge, which, conveniently, leads her to PNC Park.  One little fun fact about Mrs. Checketts: her favorite color is turquoise (Don’t ask why she doesn’t know.).  Welcome to OC, Mrs. Checketts!  We are excited to have you!