Welcome, Mrs. Nernberg!

Welcome, Mrs. Nernberg!

Mara Wearden '16, News Editor

With many changes to the OC staff this year, Chinese students welcome Mrs. Nernberg, more commonly referred to as “Laoshi”, the Chinese word for “teacher”.

Originally from Beijing, Laoshi studied at Hebei Normal University, where she received her B.A. in English Education and her Masters in English Linguistics.  Additionally, she received her certification as a TCFL (Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language) instructor from Beijing Language and Cultural University.

After moving to Pittsburgh in December of 2010, Mrs. Nernberg began to teach ESL (English as a Second Language) at Chatham University.  When asked why she decided to become a teacher, Laoshi confidently replied, “I always feel I was born to be a teacher.  For me, language is an art of culture, and I know I’m destined to be an ‘artist’ even at my early age.”  She describes herself as “lucky” to now be a teacher at Oakland Catholic, which she describes as a “distinguished, vigorous, and creative learning institution.”

Laoshi is very excited for this upcoming school year and has many goals in mind for her Chinese classes as well as the Chinese club, such as celebrating Chinese holidays, cooking Chinese food, and singing Chinese songs. Her “biggest ambitions” include holding Chinese speech contests for interested students and eventually organizing a Chinese drama club at OC.  If interested in Chinese club, regardless of whether or not you take Chinese, talk to the club moderator, Angela Gloninger, or stop by room G15 to ask Laoshi, herself, about it.

All of us at Oakland Catholic are very grateful to have Mrs. Nernberg as a member of our faculty, and we all look forward to a great school year full of Chinese fun!