OC Dominates FBLA Regionals

Molly DeFilippo ’17, Features Editor

Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) is a national association that links education and business in an innovative way.  FBLA helps students develop leadership abilities and makes them more aware of business occupations available today. Students compete against other high schools in their regions in forty-five different events. The events fall into categories of objective, performance, or school site project events. Results are revealed at the regional competition. That determines whether ones team qualifies for the state competition.

This is the third year that Oakland has participated in FBLA and the first time that all of our students have placed in the top five in their events. Seven OC students qualified for states: Meredith Flanagan, Vanessa Vogel, Tarae Blackwell, Chloe Yueh, Mimi Ogunyemi, Christina Koman, and Molly DeFilippo. The team will be heading up to Hershey, Pennsylvania for a few days in April to, not only, participate in the competition, but also to attend workshops that are related to the business topics they have been studying.

FBLA is a great opportunity for students that are interested in business. So far it has been a lot of fun and the number of students that will be competing at  states is a great accomplishment for Oakland Catholic.