Losing Yourself in the Service of Others

Courtesy of Google Images

Courtesy of Google Images

Elli Davis '19, Staff Writer

Lose Yourself in the Service of Others

Why serve? Let me tell you my story, and maybe you will understand why I do what I do. I spent the summer volunteering at The Washington Hospital in Washington, Pennsylvania. I began volunteering as a way to earn service hours for St. Lucy’s Auxiliary Junior Medallion Ball, a ball held in honor of girls who complete 150 hours of service by the end of their junior year of high school.  As I have become familiar with the hospital’s atmosphere, I have realized that volunteering means so much more than merely fulfilling a requirement. I see people everyday who are suffering, and I realize how fortunate I really am to be able to help them, even in a small way. The feeling you get after you help the parents of a newborn baby or a senior citizen is incredibly rewarding and fulfilling.

Before I started volunteering, I would hear so many people say how volunteering has put their life into perspective and, to be honest, I didn’t completely believe them. After experiencing this for myself, I realize that they are right. Volunteering takes you out of your typical environment and makes you feel like you made a difference.

As a junior volunteer at The Washington Hospital, I handled the registration of patients who have made an appointment, I answered calls directed to the front desk, and I assisted visitors in finding the room of their friend or family member. It may not seem like much, but as a junior volunteer, you are the first person who visitors see when they walk into the hospital; in that regard, volunteers are truly the “face” of the hospital. Whether visitors have just lost a loved one or found out they have cancer, they are looking for help and guidance and you may be the only person that can give it to them.

Giving up a few hours of your time to help others is nothing compared to what the people you are helping are going through. Gandhi says, “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others,” and for me it truly is.