International Student Program

Courtesy of the OCHS Instagram

Courtesy of the OCHS Instagram

Chloe Yueh '17, Staff Writer

The International Student Program is intended to help the international students to adapt to the various aspects of living and attending high school as a foreign student. “The main purpose is to answer questions that could not be answered in a regular class,” Mr. Kornosky, the moderator of the program, states. Because of the increasing amount of international students in the school who are away from home and without their family, the school decided to start this program to bolster a feeling of community amongst the international students. The goal of the International Student PRogram is to become a bridge between the school and parents, and also to connect students from different countries.

There are currently 24 international students enrolled in OCHS who are all required to participate in the program, including twenty from China, two from South Korea, one from Vietnam, and one from Taiwan. With students from such a variety of backgrounds in the program, I hope to have activities that involve sharing and experiencing the different cultures. Because this is the program’s first year, the meetings will be held during every CCW. But as the year proceeds and students feel more comfortable in school and in the Pittsburgh area, the meetings will become less frequent so that international students could enjoy activities outside the basics of the school. I hope the International Student Program makes the lives of Oakland Catholic’s international students a little easier to handle.