An Interview With Janet Van de Graaff

Photo courtesy of Kristin Arbutina

Julia Wingard ‘18, Staff Writer

Central and Oakland Catholic’s production of “The Drowsy Chaperone” was performed Thursday, November 12th through Sunday, November 15th. The musical, for those who didn’t make it, is told through a man listening to a record and tells the story of a star performer, Janet Van de Graaff (Johanna Loughran, ’18), set to marry Robert Martin and give up a life of glamour.  Chaos ensues once a producer tries to stop the wedding.

Johanna, a sophomore, is an incredible performer and played the big role marvelously. Some of Johanna Loughran’s past stage credits include Annie in CLO’s “Annie” and Julia Sullivan in CLO’s “The Wedding Singer”. I asked her a few questions to become more familiar with her experience with Masque’s fall show this year.

Reporter: What was your favorite part of the show?

J: My favorite part was getting to spend so much time with all of my friends. The atmosphere was amazing and I am so happy I got to be part of such a great cast.  

Reporter: What was one thing you could take away from it?

J: Hard work pays off. Every single person in the cast and crew worked really hard the entire time and it really showed.

Reporter: What was something that was different about this show compared to your past performances?

J: The past shows I have been in were not as funny as this show. There was not one scene that wasn’t funny and I think that really made the show unique and entertaining.

Reporter: Were there any challenges during rehearsals or tech week? Any scenes that were hard to perfect?

J: The hardest part was perfecting the timing of all of the jokes. Our director told us that the jokes had to be right on time or else it would not be funny and the audience would not laugh.

As you can tell, Johanna, along with the rest of the cast (and crew) had a spectacular time with The Drowsy Chaperone. The musical entertained the audience with its amusing characters, catchy songs, and hilarious lines. The show was extremely successful and everybody had an amazing time rehearsing and performing it.