The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 Movie Review

Kara Puszko ’18, Features Editor

After a year of waiting, the fourth and final movie adaptation of The Hunger Games book series was finally released on Friday, November 20, 2015, just in time for the Thanksgiving break. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay- Part 2 followed The Hunger Games: Mockingjay- Part 1, Catching Fire, and The Hunger Games. Since it has been so long since the first movie adaptation came out in 2015, are people still interested in the lives of Katniss, Peeta, and Gale three years later?

During the opening weekend, Mockingjay- Part 2 made $101 million, which seems like a great first weekend. But not compared to its first, second, and third movies in the series: when the first Hunger Games movie came out on March 23, 2012, it made about $153 million in the opening weekend. It would seem that viewers are getting bored with the series, considering that the book series started in 2008 and ended in 2010. Many fans of the series read the books years ago, saw the movie, and lost interest by this year. Having read the book, readers would already know what happens in the final installment of the series.

Contrary to the box office returns of Mockingjay- Part 2, many are still interested in seeing the movie. Kellen Heywood, a sophomore and long-time fan of the series, is still planning on going to see the movie. She says, “I am still interested in The Hunger Games movies because I want to see if the movies are like the books and I’m curious about what the book will look like on screen. Plus, I love watching the love triangle between Peeta, Gale, and Katniss.” Some viewers feel otherwise. When asked if she wants to see the new movie, sophomore Mandy Zheng said, “No, not really. I mean I’ll still probably go see it if I have nothing to do, but I don’t really care for it that much.”

Even though it shows that many people have moved on to other action series such as the Divergent series and The Maze Runner series, some are still interested in watching the dystopian adventure and action of the last installment of The Hunger Games, starring Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson.

Courtesy of Google Images
Courtesy of Google Images