An Interview with Mr. Fiano

Maeve Callahan '20, Staff Writer

OCHS has welcomed in a plethora of new teacher this year, among them several math instructors. One of those is Mr. Fiano, our very own singing math teacher! Here is an interview with him so that everyone can get to know this eloquent instructor:

Q: What inspired you to become a teacher?

A: Some of the people I admire most in my life are teachers. They talk about making a difference in student lives and how rewarding these experiences are for them. When I think about how much I want to use my life to help make a positive impact on world, I always go back to the joy I felt from these descriptions of their life’s work. I feel blessed that teaching brings me similar joy.

Q: Why did you choose to teach here at OC?

A: I am a product of Catholic school education at all levels of my educational formation. I enjoy working for the Church and was very excited to have an opportunity to serve the Church by working for a Catholic high school. Additionally, Oakland Catholic has a reputation of having a rigorous curriculum and high standards for its students. The unique blend of high academic rigor and Catholic identity make Oakland Catholic a desirable place to work. I am grateful for the opportunity and have enjoyed it thus far.    

Q: What is your favorite thing about this school, and the one thing that caught your eye the most?

A: I really appreciate the importance of the arts at Oakland Catholic. When I walk to my classroom, I marvel at the high quality of the visual arts being displayed on the building walls. As a musician, I appreciate that students have a place where they can express their artistic creativity in interesting ways.

Q: What inspired you to become a math teacher?

A: I have always enjoyed mathematics. However, I have had many friends that did not. The fact that they did not enjoy the class that brought me so much joy, was troubling for me. I could not understand how they did not see the underlying beauty of a subject that is special and unique. Through the years, I have become more interested in how people learn and use mathematics. This mindset lends itself to teaching mathematics, where I have an opportunity to help people explore how wonderful and useful mathematics can be.

Q: As a teacher, what are your future goals and/or ambitions?

A: I wish to continually improve as a teacher with each passing year. Doing so will help my students succeed, which will bring me great satisfaction by doing a good service for the world.

Q: What is some advice you’d like to give your students?

A: Always treat people the way you want to be treated. Always work hard in your classes. Be respectful to all around you. Never stop trying to learn from one another. Be thankful for all of your blessings and keep God close to your heart!

We’re very thankful to have you at OCHS this year, Mr. Fiano!