Welcome to OC, Mr. Amy!

Madison Morrone '21, Staff Writer

• What are your interests/ hobbies?
  • Perhaps unsurprisingly — I am a math teacher– I’m a giant dork, and I really like video games, TV and movies that are sci-fi or fantasy oriented. I also love to read and to go hiking and camping. I haven’t had a chance to explore the Pittsburgh area for outdoor activities yet, but I’m greatly looking forward to it!

• Where did you go to school? Did you teach anywhere before Oakland Catholic? If so, where?
  • My undergraduate degree was in Philosophy from George Washington University. I did my Master’s in Teaching at Montclair State University. Most recently, I was teaching 8th grade math at a middle school in Bloomfield, New Jersey.

• Did you do any fun activities or travel anywhere this summer?
  • Unfortunately, this summer was spent moving my wife and I (and our two dogs) from New Jersey to Pittsburgh, including selling our home in NJ and buying our home here. Between that and preparing to find a job in Pittsburgh, we didn’t have much time for vacation. Next summer, we are planning to visit Scotland and Ireland.

• What are you most looking forward to this year as a new teacher?
  • Whenever you start in a new school, it takes time to get used to the particular routines and idiosyncrasies of the building and staff. Of course, each year in any school brings a new group of students, but this is my first time teaching only girls. It’s interesting to me to see the ways that will affect classroom dynamics. So far, it’s been mostly positive!

• Why do you want to work here?
  • Oakland Catholic has a great reputation for being a rigorous and student-centered educational institution, and it really shows in the updated, tech-rich classrooms and the friendly and professional colleagues I’ve been working with. As someone who cares about education, it’s nice to be in a place that provides such a wide range of academically enriching activities and classes to its students.

• Why did you decide to become a teacher?
  • The long answer involves John Dewey and more philosophy than you probably want to hear, but the short answer is that I’m passionate about education. It is the most important thing we can do for our future, and it is an obligation we owe to ourselves and each other in a democratic society. Nothing else can open up individual possibilities and strengthen our economic and political futures like high-quality education. Besides, I love learning new things, and being a teacher means I get to every day!

• What is your overall goal for the school year?
  • My overall goal is to help each student I work with develop a better understanding of and appreciation for mathematics, and hopefully help inspire in them (or nurture) a love of learning. The “stuff” we learn in any classroom is important, but what really matters about school is the development of curiosity and the capacity to think and to learn better than you did before.

• What is one thing, that you as a teacher, would want to improve upon this year?
  • Not so much something I’d improve on as something I’m still getting used to is the period length; 39 minutes goes by fast. In my last school, I had 84-minute block classes. That was often too much time, but somewhere in between would be nice. Sometimes I feel like we are just starting to get some good engagement happening, and then it’s time for the next class. Not that I think the students mind the length!

• What is the main difference you see in teaching the freshmen in Algebra and the upper-classmen in Calculus?
  • The biggest difference is that the freshmen have all come from different places, and so their backgrounds and expectations for school in general and math in particular are highly varied. By the time I get them as upper-classmen in Calculus, they have been at Oakland Catholic for a few years, and they know what to expect and what’s expected of them.