Waynesburg’s Mock Crime Scene: A Killer Time

Lauren Shovlin '19, Staff Writer

A few months ago, I participated in Waynesburg University’s “Mock Crime Scene” for high school students and their parents, along with OC junior Rianna Soltis.  The students were split into three groups, led by Waynesburg students, and learned about different techniques used when analyzing a crime scene.

I learned how to collect DNA samples (without disrupting any evidence), how to distinguish “important evidence” from “unimportant evidence,” and how to evaluate handwriting through classes taught by professors who actively work with police officials, as well as current Waynesburg students studying biology and criminology. For the first part of the day, the three groups went from different classrooms and campus buildings, learning about how to approach a crime scene.  When we had learned the information necessary to analyze a crime scene, each group had to solve a mock crime scene, where “Mr. Waynesburger” was murdered in his classroom and we had to deduce which of the three suspects were guilty.

As leader of my group’s investigation team, I helped split students into sub-teams where some would collect DNA samples, while others collected fingerprints, analyzed the handwriting left on the chalkboard, and made a written inventory of all evidence found.  

The students in my group were a lot of fun and many of us still keep in touch, through our Snapchat group message titled “Mr. Waynesburger.”  If anyone has the chance to participate in Waynesburg University’s “Mock Crime Scene,” I would highly recommend it.  It not only teaches you more of the science behind crime investigations, but teaches you to be more aware of your surroundings, and gives you a taste of the college life at Waynesburg.