Congratulations to Committed Seniors!

Clara Albacete '19, Editor-In-Chief

This month I had the pleasure of interviewing a few of OC’s outstanding senior athletes that have already committed to colleges and universities.

Sierra DeAngelo and Jayde Boyd have both committed to Farleigh Dickinson University in New Jersey for Basketball! The two teammates and best friends are thrilled that they will continue to play for the same team for the next four years after carrying OC’s basketball team to great levels.

Q: What attracted you to Farleigh Dickinson University?

Jayde Boyd: I absolutely loved everything about the school. A dream of mine was to always go to school in New York City, and this school gives me the best of both worlds. It has a suburban campus with easy access to New York City. This school allows me take on harder majors and play basketball at the same time. The coaches and team make me feel like I will be a part of a family away from home.

Sierra DeAngelo: When I took my official visit, I fell in love with the team, coaches, and campus. What really won me over is the fact that the coaches would allow me to go pre-med as well as participate in a D1 sport, which some other schools would not allow me to do.

Q: What excites you the most about playing for this school?

JB: I am super excited to be able to continue playing with Sierra throughout college. We have been playing together since 6th grade and our chemistry on the court is very good, and I am anxious to see how our talents play out in college. Also, I am excited to learn under a new coaching staff. I hope and know they will bring out the best in me as a person and as a player.

SD: I can’t wait to get to know the team more and be able to play for such a great coaching staff. I have very high hopes for the team in the future, and I cannot wait to continue playing in college with Jayde.

Q: What do you intend to study?

JB: I intend on studying biology and graduate in 3 or 4 years. With that major, I hope to apply and get in PA-School to eventually become a physician assistant.

SD: I intend to major in biology.

Q: Do you have any dreams of going pro?

JB: No, not really. It has never been much of a consideration. In elementary school I dreamed about being in the WNBA but now I am excited to pursue a career.

SD: I do not wish to play pro, although it would be an amazing opportunity. Since I want to go pre-med, I want to focus on my studies and my future after college, and I do not see basketball being a part of it.

Q: What made you decide to play basketball in high school?

JB: I’ve been playing basketball since I was in 1st grade and as I watched my sister be a part of a high school basketball program, it made me even more excited to be a part of it. High school basketball has so many perks from making friends and memories with your team, to fighting to make the playoffs and win big games.

SD: I’ve loved the sport ever since third grade, when I first started playing. My coaches, trainer, and family have always supported me, and that really helped me to stick with the sport throughout all of these years.

Q: What is your favorite sport aside from basketball?

JB: My favorite sport aside from basketball is probably football. Although I never played football, I love watching it with my family and friends. It is kind of funny because I don’t know the rules too well and I ask a lot of question but something about the sport excites me a whole lot. I also like throwing a football outside with my friends and playing it on vacation as well.

SD: Growing up, I have tried many other sports including volleyball, soccer, cheerleading, and gymnastics. My favorite was volleyball, and I wish I stuck with it through high school, but instead, I chose to focus solely on basketball.

Q: What worries you the most about playing a D1 sport in college?

JB: I don’t think I am necessarily worried about playing for a division 1 school but I am anxious about the transformation from high school basketball to college basketball. I know the pace and strength of the players will be much faster and stronger but I am excited for the transition.

SD: I am most worried about handling the heavy workload of being a biology major as well as the time commitment that a D1 sport requires.

Q: What was the most difficult part of the recruitment process for you?

JB: I didn’t really think the recruiting process was too difficult for me but more exciting. Before I began the process I didn’t have much in mind about what I wanted in a college. As I visited more and more colleges, I guess the hardest part for me was deciding whether or not I could see myself at that school and if it fit into my list per say. As I built relationships with multiple coaching staffs, it was a little hard and upsetting for me to let some of them go when I knew FDU was the school for me.

SD: The most difficult part of the process was being recruited. I received my first scholarship offer the summer before my sophomore year, but I did not intend on going there. After that, I went almost 2 years without receiving another scholarship. This past April, when my AAU team traveled to Kentucky, I did not play that great, and I did not receive any offers, so I was freaking out. After working really hard over the summer, I received several scholarship offers, which was super relieving. It was so exciting to finally see all of my hard work paying off.

Q: Any words of advice for aspiring D1 athletes?

JB: Definitely make the best of the entire process. Enjoy each and every visit. Make a list of what you like and don’t like about each school. And don’t base it solely on the sport you are looking for because you are going to have to love the school for more than the sport or you won’t be very happy. Lastly, once you know, YOU KNOW when that school is the perfect fit for you. Don’t doubt yourself; don’t let anyone alter your decision because this process is about you. When it comes down to it, it’s all about if you are going to be happy there for the next 4 years.

SD: My advice to any other athletes looking to compete in college would be to be patient. Work hard and reach out to colleges. Do not just wait for them to come to you. Email them, call them, and seem interested. Do not rush anything, and make your decision based on education, not just only on the sport you intend to play.

Above left to right: Jayde Boyd, Sierra DeAngelo

Ellie Tiskus joined the Oakland Catholic community as a sophomore and has been leading the swim team to WPIALs and States ever since. She happily committed to Penn State University this past September for swimming and intends to study Molecular Biology and follow the Pre-Med Track.

Q: What attracted you to Penn State?

Ellie Tiskus: Penn State had the perfect balance of both high level academics, as well as competitive Division 1 swimming in the Big 10 league.

Q: What excites you the most about swimming for PSU?

ET: Penn State has one of the most supportive athlete groups in the United States. Athletes support one another, by going to each other’s games, matches, and meets. As an athlete, I receive free tickets to every sporting event, so I am excited to be able to support other student-athletes.

Q: Do have any dreams of going pro?

ET: No; although I am working towards qualifying for the 2020 Olympic Trials.

Q: What made you decide to participate in this sport in high school?

ET: I have grown up swimming. Since the age of 8, I have loved the water, and loved the sport of swimming.

Q: What is your favorite sport aside from swimming?

ET: I have always been amazed by gymnastics. Gymnasts are some of the most powerful athletes I have ever seen.

ET: I am slightly worried about being able to balance my challenging major, with the demands of swimming.

ET: Realizing that the name of the school is not the most important. I had to mature and understand that going to an “Ivy League” school does not automatically mean unmeasured success in the future.

Q: Any advice for aspiring D1 athletes?

ET: As a word of advice for younger students who are looking to be recruited, do not judge a school on its acceptance rate, or because it is not an “Ivy League” school. Find the perfect fit FOR YOU; do not let others pressure you into attending a university you truly do not see yourself being happy attending for all four years.

Above: Ellie Tiskus

Jess Meyers has made Oakland Catholic history with her talent for golfing; she is OC’s first golfer to ever make it to States! Jess committed this summer to the University of Notre Dame in Indiana for golf.

Q: What attracted you to Notre Dame?

Jess Meyers: Overall, the competitive nature of the students attracted me to Notre Dame. Every student pushes themselves to be the best that they can be, whether it is in their sport or in the classroom, and I feel that this mindset will push me to be the best that I can be in all aspects of my life.

Q: What excites you the most about golfing for Notre Dame?

JM: I am excited to be able to play for a team that I have been following for as long as I can remember. Also, I am excited to be able to be a part of a school with a great reputation for both academics and athletics.

Q: What do you intend to study?

JM: While at Notre Dame, I plan to take a science/business route. This will allow me to take classes in business, while also preparing for medical school.

Q: Do have any dreams of going pro?

JM: As of now, I do not have dreams of going pro for golf. I think one of the best parts of this game is that I will be able to play for the rest of my life, however after college, I plan to become a doctor and play golf with my friends and family in my free time.

JM: Going into high school, I knew that I wanted to play a sport that would help me get into a great college and that I would be able to play for the rest of my life. However, one of the main reasons I played in high school is because my twin brother plays golf and encouraged me to start taking the sport more seriously.

Q: What is your favorite sport aside from golf?

JM: My favorite sport aside from golf is cheerleading.

JM: The thing that worries me the most about playing a D1 sport in college is time management.

JM: The most difficult part of the process for me was knowing that the summer tournaments were extremely important and having to deal with the pressure of playing well when it mattered.

Q: Any advice for aspiring D1 athletes?

JM: A piece of advice that I can share is that if you want to play a sport in college, all of the hard work and dedication is worth it in the end!

Above: Jess Meyers

A huge congratulations to all of these amazing athletes for their commitments to wonderful schools! We wish them the best of luck in the upcoming four years and can’t wait to see them thrive!