Welcome Ms. D’Angelo and Mr. Martz!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Welcome Ms. D’Angelo and Mr. Martz!

Maeve Callahan '20, Staff Writer

Each school year, the OC community receives a handful of new teachers. This year, I set out to ask two of our new faculty members, Ms. D’Angelo (who teaches Anatomy) and Mr. Martz (who teaches Physics), some questions about themselves and what they think of OC so far:

Q: Starting with the basics, where are you from?

Ms. D’Angelo: I’m from Pittsburgh, PA – North Hills area.

Mr. Martz: I am originally from North Versailles, PA and currently I live in Trafford, PA.

Q: Where did you go to school (either high school/college)?

Ms. D’Angelo: North Allegheny High School, Slippery Rock University, and University of Kansas.

Mr. Martz: I graduated from Duquesne University in 2009 with a degree in Physics, and then again from St. Vincent in 2017 with my teaching certification.

Q: Where have you taught at before OC? If so, how many years?

Ms. D’Angelo: 10 years, at a combination of in-state schools and out-of-state schools in Rhode Island.

Mr. Martz: This is my first year of teaching full-time, but I was a substitute teacher at my alma mater of East Allegheny for 2 years before I graduated from St. Vincent.

Q: What inspired you to come teach here at OC?

Ms. D’Angelo: I was impressed with the community service, sports program, and academic programs.

Mr. Martz: While looking through for my first job in my teaching career, I looked on OC’s website. What I noticed was a big emphasis on not only creating academic leaders, but leaders in the community, and not just your own community, but also in the world community.

Q: What do you think of OC so far?

Ms. D’Angelo: The school is very welcoming and there is a sense of pride and community.

Mr. Martz: I am still getting used to all the students and faculty here, but I have had an excellent time so far. I am looking to get more involved in the OC community.

Q: What do you do for fun or a hobby?

Ms. D’Angelo: I’m a hydroponic gardener and play with my 3 dogs. Check out the pic!

Mr. Martz: What I do for fun is play outside with my one and a half year-old son. He’s small, but he still can pack a punch and usually gets me tired before he’s even winded. A hobby I like to do is teach others self-defense and marksmanship.  

Q: Any cool talents/tricks we should know about?

Ms. D’Angelo: I’m a “jack of all trades.”

Mr. Martz: I have the worst dance moves you can ever imagine.  Don’t know if that’s a talent or just an oddity.

Q: And finally, do you have any advice to your students?

Ms. D’Angelo: Remember it’s the journey and not the destination that makes life interesting.

Mr. Martz: Always ask questions, not just in class but in the world around you. The worst thing that can happen is that you might have to look further to find the answer.

Finally, I’d like to give a special thanks to Ms. D’Angelo and Mr. Martz for participating in this interview. Welcome to OC!