Welcome to OC, Dr. Browne!

Isabella Viator ‘22, Staff Writer

As the school year began, there were many new faces at Oakland Catholic. A whole new freshman class and some new teachers arrived. One new teacher this year is Dr. Thomas Browne! You may know her if you have any classes in J204, but here are a few things about her you may not know.

Dr. Thomas Browne went to a public grade school. During those first few years of her education, she wasn’t very enthusiastic about math. As a child, she either wanted to be a doctor or a teacher. She remarked that it was funny that now she is a doctor, though not a medical doctor, and a teacher. The point at which she first became interested in math was when she started 9th grade at a Catholic High School. There, she unlocked her appreciation for math and, with the help of the nun who taught her math, she excelled. Now, she definitely encourages people to go to private school because that is where she learned to love math. She talked about private school teachers: “I think the teachers take it more seriously and we are really invested in this.” After learning to love math, she knew that that was what she wanted to do with her life so, when she went to college, she decided to study to become an engineer. Only through the experience of engineering school did she realize that it wasn’t for her. Finally, she ended up getting a degree in Mathematics and after went on to get her teaching certification.

Then, she went on to teach at the Ellis Middle School and High School while working towards getting her masters degree. During this time, she was invited to teach at Chatham. At Chatham University she taught math and education courses. She soon learned that to become a full-time faculty member you must have a Doctorate, so she decided to get one. The moment she got her doctorate felt amazing. Dr. Browne noted that it might have been the best part of all her years of education, saying: “I just didn’t know that I could actually do something like that.”

Dr. Thomas Browne advises girls who have trouble with math to work hard and to practice. She encourages students to come to her for help, because she herself did not realize she could do math until she went to her teacher for help. When she did, everything became clear to her and math became a source of goodness in her life. “I try to help them [the students] to see the positives of math.” For girls who want to get their doctorate, she advises to work and study hard. Dr. Browne explains that math is not easy, but if you choose to go in that direction, persevere. If you need help, don’t be afraid to ask for it, whether you’re in high school, college, or even graduate school.