Inside OC: A Freshman’s First Impressions

Nyiah Lance '22, Staff Writer

I started high school at Oakland Catholic several weeks ago. As a 9th grader going straight from a public school to a private Catholic school, lots and lots of thoughts have been racing through my head. On the first day, I was overwhelmed because I’m not used to so many girls. It was only the freshman and seniors so there were more to come. I felt kind of out place, too. Mostly everyone knew someone from their previous school, so they were with them. Even though I knew two girls from elementary school and one from middle school, I got to school late so I couldn’t find them. I sat in the front trying to keep my head down. When we headed to the JOA building I stayed quiet hoping that someone I knew was in my homeroom. I was quite disappointed to see that I knew absolutely no one. After the day ended I was exhausted for the first time since the end of the 2017-2018 school year. Thankfully we had a day off after that!

Calendar Kickoff and Picnic:​ I don’t think I’ve ever screamed so much in my entire life. I had a great time at the picnic. I met a lot of new people and got to know some of my friends more. My favorite part, hands down, was the tug-of-war. We all bonded a lot and it was fun to have lunch with people I knew. At that time I wasn’t friends with anyone in my lunch, but now I am!

Freshman Mixer: ​I had a little bit of fun at the mixer, but certainly not as much as my friends. The music started off slow, with some selections from the early 2010s, but when people went up and suggested music it got way better. I met a couple more people, but not a lot. Since I was so anti-social, I didn’t talk to anyone unless I knew them or they spoke to me first.

After all of the fun and games, we started working and learning, but my teachers are nice and helpful so hopefully they don’t overload us with work! Sometimes I am stressed… (actually, most of the time) about work, but that’s mostly because I procrastinate so much that I bring stress upon myself. Also, there is a lot of walking that happens here, especially between the two buildings, hopefully I get used to it because right now I’m not feeling it. Overall, I have made so many great friends and can’t wait to make new ones!