Caught Up in Creativity: A Look Inside AP Art

Clara Albacete '19, Editor-In-Chief

When wandering the hallways of Oakland Catholic, you may have noticed beautiful works of art hung up all around the school. These masterpieces were all created by Oakland Catholic students under the instruction of our illustrious art teacher, Mrs. Koroly. Starting with studio one, students are able to take studio classes all the way up to level five, with some classes specializing in painting and ceramics. The ultimate art class, however, is AP Art, an intensive full-year course that culminates in a twenty-four piece portfolio submitted to the College Board to potentially receive a score out of five. Senior Mae Lucchino describes the class as “loosely structured studio time, especially during the second half of the school year. We have to create twenty-four pieces; twelve breadth pieces that explore different artistic approaches with unconnected pieces, and twelve concentration pieces with an overarching theme that uses art to explore an idea.” I had the opportunity to ask Mae a few questions about her experience with AP Art, which is still a relatively new class at OC.

What’s your favorite part of the class?

ML: I most enjoy the moments I get totally caught up in my work, entering an artistic zone, where my ideas and my skill come together to form a satisfying piece.

What’s your favorite project you’ve done so far?

ML: I don’t have one project I specifically love because I work on many projects at the same time. However, I did thoroughly enjoy learning how to paint in watercolor and gouache earlier this year, I was able to make several pieces in a new, fun medium.

Do you intend to pursue some form of art in the future?

ML: I’m planning on attending art school, majoring in Illustration, to pursue a career in the artistic component of the entertainment industry. I am mainly interested in conceptual art and illustration.

What’s the hardest part of AP art?

ML: The self-discipline required to keep up with the workload and to conjure up new, original pieces is the most challenging part of AP Art. It can be draining, and it’s important to know when to work through an art block or to rest and avoid a burnout.

Do you have any words of advice for students thinking of taking the class?

ML: Whether you are a very active artist drawing everyday, or you are interested in art but only draw occasionally, as long as you are inspired to create and want to learn more, this class is useful. Join if you want to learn self-discipline and have access to materials to expand your artistic capabilities.

You can see the talented AP Art students’ (as well as all other studio students’) work on display during the Spring Arts Showcase on April 25th!