Thanksgiving Traditions at OC!

Emma Rooney '23, Staff Writer

I recently got the chance to sit down with three of Oakland’s best teachers: Mr. Patrick Finnegan, freshmen history teacher, Ms. Maggie Ianachione, Freshman English teacher and finally, Ms. Mcburney, Freshmen math teacher. I asked the three individuals a series of different questions about their Thanksgiving Traditions. 

Let’s start with Oakland’s newest english teacher, Ms. Maggie Ianachione. The first question I asked Ms. Ianachione was what was your favorite childhood Thanksgiving tradition and she answered “eatingThanksgiving brunch followed by leftovers for dinner.” The second question I asked her was what is your favorite Thanksgiving dish, and she answered “pumpkin pie or homemade applesauce.” The third question I asked her was what is your favorite thing to do on Thanksgiving and she answered, “spend time with my family.” The last question I asked Ms. Ianachione was what is your favorite Thanksgiving dessert and she answered “Pumpkin Pie.” 

The next teacher I interviewed was Mr. Patrick Finnegan, a teacher in OC’s history department. The first question I asked Mr. Finnegan was what was your favorite Thanksgiving tradition as a kid, he answered, “We all used to go to my grandmother’s house.” The second question I asked Mr. Finnegan is are there any of your childhood traditions that you do with your kids and he answered,“We watch old holiday movies.” The third question I asked him was what is your favorite Thanksgiving dish, and he replied, “Stuffing with gravy.” The last question I asked him was is there any special rituals that your family does on thanksgiving and he answered, “Not on the day but, the Saturday after we always cut down our Christmas tree.” 

The third and final person I interviewed was Ms. Mcburney, one of OC’s math teachers. The first question I asked her was what was your favorite Thanksgiving tradition as a kid and she answered, “Going to pick out a Christmas tree on Thanksgiving morning.” The second question I asked her was what’s your favorite thing to do with your family on Thanksgiving and she answered, “Decorating the house for Christmas.” The third question I asked her was what is your favorite Thanksgiving dish and she answered, “Sweet potato casserole.” The fourth and final question I asked her was what is your favorite Thanksgiving dessert and she answered, “Pumpkin Pie.” 

I would like to thank Mr. Finnegan, Ms. Ianachione, and Ms. McBurney for letting me interview them. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!