Exploring Oakland’s Hidden Gems!

Emma Shaughnessy '20, Features Editor

Good news! Since the infamous groundhog didn’t see his shadow, warm weather is right around the corner! So why not head outside and explore the “hidden gems” around Oakland? 

Oakland is known for its abundance of delicious restaurants. From The Porch in Schenley Plaza to Bagel Factory on South Craig Street, there is something for everyone. Though these are both great options, there are quite a few nearby restaurants that are not on many people’s radar: 

Crêpes Parisienne, known for its affordable French cuisine, is located on South Craig and is only a five-minute walk from OC. Next time you are walking to Chipotle or Starbucks after school, stop by Crêpes Parisienne and enjoy one of their paninis or crêpes!

Another great place to eat after school is Food For Thought Deli. Only a one minute walk from Oakland, Food For Thought has a wide variety of sandwiches, chips, cookies, as well as everyone’s favorite: fries. In addition to inexpensive prices, Food For Thought offers great customer service that is unmatched. 

If you want to venture out of the “OC bubble,” take a leisurely fifteen-minute stroll down to Pitt’s campus and eat at The Original Hot Dog Shop, or The O. For all the french fry lovers out there, The O is known for their fries and hot dogs. The portions are sizable, so take a group of friends and split the cost. It’s definitely worth going at least once!

While you’re in the area, you might as well pay a visit to the Pitt Corner Store. Offering a large selection of all your favorite Pitt apparel at relatively low prices, the corner store is worth checking out. If you’re looking for a new sweatshirt for the next dress down day or just want to show your Pitt pride, the corner store is a great place to shop!

Lastly, for all the history buffs out there, Mazeroski Field is a must-see in Oakland. Located behind Schenley Plaza, the field serves as the home turf for the OC Field Hockey Team, as well as a tribute to baseball star, Bill Mazeroski, for his home run there in the 1960 World Series. Going to the field where sports history was made is truly a remarkable experience. 

Next time you’re bored or find yourself in the mood to try something new, remember these suggestions, step out of OC’s bubble, and explore!