St. Patrick’s Day

Emma Rooney '23, Staff Writer

St. Patrick’s Day is a very big holiday, especially for Irish people like myself. St. Patrick’s Day is named after St. Patrick, who was a patron saint of Ireland. Born in Roman Britain in the late 4th century, he was kidnapped at the age of 16 and taken to Ireland as a slave. He escaped, but returned around 432 C.E.  to convert the Irish to Christianity. By the time of his death on March 17, 461, he had established many monasteries, churches, and schools. We celebrate St. Patrick’s Day every year on March 17th. 

One of the St. Patrick’s Day traditions here in Pittsburgh is the St. Patty’s Day Parade. St. Patrick’s day is a day of wearing green and eating Irish foods such as Irish bacon, which is just ham. Other foods consist of lamb stew, chicken and leek pie, steak and guinness pie, and shepherd’s and cottage pie. One of my favorite things to do on St. Patrick’s Day is to not only eat Irish food and dress in green but also watch on TV the parade in which my sister, Maggie, who is in the Colorguard of the Central Catholic Marching Band, participates in. Also, before my brother Jack graduated in 2019, he was the captain of the drum line and participated all four years of his high school career. St. Patrick’s day is a day of celebrating not only the Irish culture but all the good that St. Patrick did. I am pretty certain that we can all agree that St. Patrick was a pretty fantastic person inside and out. Happy St. Patrick’s Day, everyone!