One Last Message from the Class of 2020 Editorial Staff

Emma Holtz 

From that very first Eagle Eye meeting as a shy freshman in 2016 to my final virtual bow as Co-Editor-in-Chief in 2020, I am truly grateful for my experience with the OC Eagle Eye. As these four years draw to a close, I can confidently say that I’ve found my writing voice and solidified my passion for storytelling that will carry me into my next chapter as a Penn State student. I want to extend my greatest thanks to the Eagle Eye’s bright moderators, Mr. Finnegan and Dr. Doerfler, and my amazingly talented fellow editors and staff writers for being a positive force and inspiration around Oakland. The Eagle Eye is a strong, supportive community always willing to help one another and cultivate the creativity of young minds. To all the underclassmen staff writers and editors: thank you for your hard work and dedication to enriching the Eagle Eye with your unique perspectives. Going forward, I know the Eagle Eye is in reliable and capable hands as you continue your high school career at OC! To my fellow seniors Dallas, Emma, and Kavya: getting the chance to work with you these past 4 years has been a huge blessing. You inspire me! We’ve been together since the beginning as a journalist Dream Team! I’ve loved every minute writing with you and I’m so proud of how much we’ve grown. I can’t wait to see what great things you’ll accomplish in the future!

Your Co-Editor-in-Chief is signing off one last time…

Emma Shaughnessy

Before I even started my freshman year at OC, I knew I wanted to join the Eagle Eye. The summer after 8th grade, I spent hours browsing the clubs on Oakland Catholic’s website. Although many activities piqued my interest, I was most excited to write. Over the past four years, working on the Eagle Eye as a staff writer and an editor has not only allowed me to improve my writing, but the experience has also helped me find my voice. Thanks to the Eagle Eye, I have had the freedom to write about a wide range of current events and features such as Bitcoin and new restaurants around Pittsburgh. From conducting interviews and research for various articles, I have learned so much about myself and the world, and for that, I am so grateful. Working alongside Emma, Dallas, and Kavya has been such a memorable experience, and I am beyond proud of our growth since freshman year. Thank you to Mr. Finnegan and Dr. Doerfler for guiding us these past four years, and to everyone on the Eagle Eye who made this final year incredibly special!

Kavya Weaver

One of the most formative experiences of my high school career has been writing and editing for the Eagle Eye. Participating in the school newspaper has given me a space to express myself without the pressure of being graded, explore topics I’m passionate about, and grow in my abilities as a writer. Furthermore, the experience of working on a team to create a coherent and quality publication has deepened my respect for collaboration, personal responsibility, and hard work. I distinctly remember the first time that I saw one of my articles published on the Eagle Eye website. At this point of having written for the newspaper for three years, publishing an article now represents a minor accomplishment; however, it was a very special experience to see my name published in such an official format for the first time, and I continue to strive after that sense of pride in my work. I’m grateful for the support of Mr. Finnegan and Dr. Doerfler throughout my time as a staff member, and I’m confident that the Eagle Eye will continue to represent a platform for students to voice their opinions in the future. 

Dallas Mercurio

Oddly enough, after four years of writing, editing, and working hard with the OC Eagle Eye, first as a staff writer, then an editor, and finally Co-Editor in Chief, words fail me in expressing how truly grateful I am for this experience, and the people who made it possible. Mr Finnegan and Dr. Doerfler are both amazing teachers that have helped cultivate my love of learning, literature, and writing all four years at OC. Yet as excellent moderators of this school newspaper, they mentored all of us in and outside the classroom, and went above and beyond to make this club what it is. Although this year didn’t turn out the way I had hoped, and we didn’t print, I am grateful and proud of all of the staff writers and editors who worked hard on the online publications, and even during quarantine persevered to write. Writing is the passion that binds all of us together at the Eagle Eye. Often a blessing and a curse, the itch to write until the article is absolutely perfect, possesses us all at times, and is evident in the level of expertise and style that many of our staff writers contribute to the newspaper. I remember my first article that I wrote for the Eagle Eye, and feeling so stressed about making it perfect. At times this club was stressful, just like that first article experience, but it also filled me with determination and a sense of accomplishment for a job well done. It wasn’t easy, but that was the fun of it. To this club and everyone involved in it I say thank you. Thank you for teaching me the value of hardwork and determination, and thank you for your dedication to the truth.