The 2015 National Honor Society Induction

Caroline Albecete '17, Assistant Editor

On Thursday, November 19th, the National Honor Society welcomed over 50 new members into its ranks during an hour-long ceremony in the OCHS JOA Theatre. Dr. Theresa Doerfler, the leader of our chapter of NHS, directed the ceremony. Mrs. Kasunic, Mrs. Greco, and Mrs. Zalno all gave speeches, but the true highlight of the evening, other than the induction itself, came when four of Oakland’s senior members of NHS gave speeches on the four pillars of the society: scholarship, service, leadership, and character. Soobin Lee gave an inspiring speech on the importance of taking joy in scholarship and striving for the best education one can hope to find, speaking from her personal experiences of studying in four different countries. Abbey Lobello gave a motivational speech on the significance of service and the enrichment it offers one’s life, speaking from personal experiences she has had doing volunteer work. Athena Pyros spoke about what makes a true, good leader, and all the different kind of leaders there are, while Maura Sheedy gave a speech about the impact good character has on our lives as well as speaking about the importance of having good character.

After all the speeches were presented, the induction itself went off without a hitch, as over 50 OCHS students became official members of the National Honor Society. After the congratulations were offered, there was a lovely reception in the cafeteria. After the night ended, the new members of NHS were sent off to live by the guidelines of scholarship, service, leadership, and character.

Congratulations to all new members of NHS!