A Busy Start of the Year for Campus Ministry

Molly DeFilippo ‘17, News Editor

This year, OC welcomed back Ms. Caroline Walker, an OC alumna, to run Campus Ministry. Campus Ministry has always been a vibrant part of the OC community, and now, with Ms. Walker, there many service-related events available to the OC student body. As usual, there are the weekly trips to the local elementary school St. Maria Goretti, where girls help out with the after school program, and the visits to Schenley Gardens, a senior living facility. Girls can also team up with the students at Central Catholic to participate in Power Packing, where students pack meals for kids who do not have a sufficient supply of food on the weekends. Campus Ministry also organizes the semiannual Kairos retreat and every class retreat. Ms. Walker makes it clear that Campus Ministry isn’t something that you must be committed to all the time to be a part of. She was in our shoes once too and knows that everyone has busy schedules and wants Campus Ministry to be something that is open to all students whenever they want to participate. Ms. Walker says that participating in service is not just about getting the hours for Religion class, but also about doing good to benefit the human family. “We are not doing service to give a handout, but to serve in order to love more selflessly, to expand ourselves, to open our eyes to issues and people we might not otherwise see or encounter, to recognize where there is need or loneliness, and to be—in the little way we can—Christ’s hands and feet in that place.” If you are interested in getting involved with Campus Ministry, be sure to check out the December schedule.

December Campus Ministry Schedule:

https://docs.google.com/a/oaklandcatholic.org/document/d/1oVP9g8ha02kExhwGavmMynfTKslWd_ooMPacxPGJ-tI/edit?usp=sharing