The Masque Prepares for “The Pajama Game”

Makenna Kemper '22, Staff Writer

It’s that time of year where every school starts filling up with the lovely sounds of students voices and the orchestrated pieces of music that are performed time and time again. Having a hard time guessing what time it is? It’s time for the fall musical! Every year, Oakland Catholic and Central Catholic join forces to comprise a musical theatre super troupe called Masque, which is made up entirely of each schools’ talented students. To follow up with last year’s amazing performance of Cinderella, they have decided to trade in their glass slippers for something more comfortable…that is, if they get that seven and a half cent raise! It’s The Pajama Game!

The Pajama Game is a tale set at the Sleep-Tite Pajama Factory, where the factory’s employees start to protest in hopes of getting a raise. Throughout the show, Catherine “Babe” Williams (played by Jane Fusco), the leader of the Union Grievance Committee, starts to develop feelings for the superintendent, Sid Sorokin (played by Austin Meinert). We follow their relationship, and many others, and the workers’ fight for a raise through uplifting songs and amazing dance numbers. It’s hard to keep your eyes from getting glued to the stage!

As I sit in the back of the stunning McGonigle Theater, I am both astonished and entertained by all of the talent in one room. First, the girls all gather and begin to practice the tune of “I’m Not at All in Love”, which takes place in the first act. Beautiful voices that can be compared to songbirds fill the air, making you become enthralled by the sheer gifts that the girls have. Watching all of the cast work together, almost like that of any sports team you have ever seen, is such a refreshing and astounding sight to experience. Not many people take into account the amount of trust and willingness it takes to put on a high school show as superb as this one.

The Pajama Game will be shown November 8th, 9th, and 10th in Central Catholic’s McGonigle Theater at 7:30 P.M. each night. Tickets are $10. Make sure to stop by and come see the show, you won’t want to miss it!