A Freshman’s Final Perspective

Vanessa Moats '22, Staff Writer

I cannot believe that my first year at Oakland Catholic is almost over. I am so glad that I chose to come to Oakland Catholic. My first year here has gone by so fast, and it has been so busy. I have loved getting to know new girls and making friendships that will last throughout my years at Oakland and beyond. My first taste of Oakland Catholic was through the Study Skills course in the summer. Getting to meet a teacher and learn tips to succeed in high school was very helpful! Mr. Finnegan put me at ease and helped me to see I was ready for high school. It was great to meet other incoming freshmen, and to be able to know that I would have some familiar faces on the first day. On the first day of the school year, I was still a little bit worried about starting high school, but as soon as I stepped into the building, I immediately felt comfortable, and that assurance calmed all of my fears. FIAT helped with my transition and I got to meet a select small group of friends and Cecilia, a senior who helped me through my first days at OC. I have gotten to have the best freshman-year high school experience I could have asked for. The teachers are so open to talk to and to help us, and the classes are amazing. The supportive environment at OC is one of my favorite things about our school. Each and every girl has respect for all of the other girls at OC. I feel safe at OC and know it is a great place to learn and grow. I loved being able to experience new things this year like Masque and all sorts of clubs. One of my favorite things I did was performing in the cabaret. I also loved experiencing all of the OC traditions this year, such as our picnic, having a class color, CCW’s, Spirit Week, and more. Our freshmen class retreat allowed me to get to know more of my classmates, and we even had a singing and dance party, games, and spiritual reflections, too.  The year has gone so fast, and I treasured every minute of it. Oakland Catholic has helped me step out of my comfort zone and try new things. I cannot wait to return in the fall.