EPIC is Epic!

Emma Holtz '20, Co Editor-in-Chief

When you were a little kid, did you ever dream of becoming an inventor someday? Have you ever wanted to 3D print your own creation? If so, I highly recommend EPIC class with Mr. Graner as a must-do elective for juniors and seniors! EPIC stands for Engineering Principles Including Challenges, which focuses heavily on prototyping and engineering design. While each project has its own unique setup, the engineering design process is the basic foundation for all procedures. Engineers must clearly answer these three essential questions when determining the right solution:

1. What is the problem or need?
  2. Who has the problem or need?
  3. Why is it important to solve?

EPIC only lasts a semester, but the lesson plans are packed with collaborative projects and hands-on opportunities that make the 39-minute periods fly by! The fun of EPIC is its unpredictability. One week, we were challenged with moving a can of popcorn into another can without using our hands. The next week, we worked on technical sketching, which is a baseline product sketch on paper before 3D printing. Senior Mary Laird currently takes EPIC 8th period,

“EPIC is a great chance to work with other students and bond through creative projects! I’ve really enjoyed learning about the engineering process through hands-on activities. The girls in the class all bring unique perspectives and ideas to make the class interesting!”

Without spoiling all of the surprises, EPIC gives all students opportunities to get creative and use their imaginations to build and design awesome products! And the best part is, you don’t have to be super interested in math or science to really enjoy your semester. EPIC allows you to freely choose what to design and how to design it. The possibilities are truly endless!

“If you can dream it, you can do it.” – Walt Disney