Spring Sports Preview

Emma Shaughnessy '20, Features Editor

Lacrosse season may not have officially started yet, but many of the players are already in full gear. Open gyms for new and returning players commenced in January, with the option to participate in weekend scrimmages to work on their skills in game-like settings. The season officially begins on March 3, with two days of tryouts for JV and Varsity players. Goalie, Matty Vogel ‘20, noted her enthusiasm for lacrosse saying, “I’m really excited to start the season! My teammates are such a great group of girls that support each other but also have fun.” Only having one year of lacrosse experience under her belt, Matty helped lead her team to victory last season and is hoping for a similar outcome this year. Senior defender, Izzy Young, is going into the season with a similar mentality and commented,“I think this season is going to be great for us, having a lot of fresh faces in the talented freshman classes and coming back from being WPIAL champs.” Come support the Eagles in the first section game on March 27 vs. South Fayette at their home turf (location TBD). 

Track & Field is also almost in full swing here at OC. Open to students of all ability levels, the OC Track & Field team follows an intense practice schedule to get in the best shape for their meets. In conjunction with Central Catholic High School, the girls can train in long jump, javelin, high jump, sprinting, hurdles, and distance running. A dedicated member of the team, senior Riley Doyle, commented on her excitement for the season and said, “I’m looking forward to my final season on the track team. Everyone on the team is very encouraging and pushes me to do my best.” Many of the girls on the team have been preparing for the season since December when indoor track commenced. Track star Macey Crawford ‘20, has been training consistently and recently committed to run at West Virginia University in the fall. If you want to support your OC Eagles and Central Vikings, you can attend their first track meet on March 25 at Woodland Hills.