OC Swimming

Annie Snyder '21, Co-Assistant Editor

This season was a very successful and fun one for the OC Swimming and Diving team. With an astonishing win over Upper St. Clair and a disappointing loss against Mount Lebanon (whose girls team has been runner-up in the entire WPIAL in the past years), the Eagles landed runner-up in their WPIAL 3A section.

WPIAL qualifier Morgan Filar ‘22 says, “OC Swim is such a great experience and this season was filled with good memories and new best times. I am so excited to swim at WPIALS and I hope to make States this year. I can’t wait to cheer on my teammates at Trees Hall and hopefully Bucknell.”

Team captain Jess Huwar ‘20 says, “The OC swim team finished this season with a practically perfect record, which is very exciting and well-deserved. We have such a unique mix of novice and veteran swimmers, and our success is a testament to the incredible depth and heart of this team. The ability to have WPIAL qualifying swimmers and new athletes in the same races–both contributing to the team’s victory–is unprecedented at OC or any other club I’ve seen. As a captain, I loved the opportunity to watch these girls bond in and out of the pool as they pushed each other to be the best athletes possible.”

As a member of the team, I really enjoyed this season! I believe we have a very well-rounded team of not only fast swimmers but very determined and committed swimmers.  I think the swim team has created its own community that supports each other and has its own inside jokes. I’m very excited for the banquet this year and my senior season, but I will greatly miss the seniors who made swimming so fun!

The WPIAL Championships will take place February 27 and 28 at Trees Hall at the University of Pittsburgh.  Maggie Smith ‘20, Morgan Filar ‘22, Ethena Conzemius ‘22, Blaire Gillespie ‘23, Molly Gatesman ‘23 will be swimming in individual and relay events and will be accompanied by alternates Margaret Jankowski ‘20, Emerson Hamilton ‘22, and Eliana Akar ‘23.  If you cannot make the event, it will be live streamed as well.

Also, Ava Christy ‘20 competed in the WPIAL Diving Championships Saturday, February 23 at North Allegheny Senior High School and placed 6th.  Congratulations to Ava!

OC Swimming and Diving had a great season! Congrats and good luck to our swimmers and divers competing at WPIALs and hopefully at States!