Big Brother is Watching: Opinion Editorial on Computer Monitoring at OC

Emma Shaughnessy '20, Sports Editor

There I was in study hall, twiddling my thumbs, wondering what I could do to pass the time. Feeling nostalgic, I went to Google and searched “Polly Party Pickup,” a classic 2008 Polly Pocket game. However, much to my dismay, my favorite childhood game was blocked! Slightly annoyed, I surfed over to the holy grail of computer games: “Unblocked Game World.” But ironically enough, that website was blocked, too! What was this madness? Why couldn’t I use my free time as I wished? Interested in learning what other OC students thought about administrative bans on computers, I decided to ask Aidan Brady ‘20 to weigh in.

Q: How do you feel about certain websites being blocked on our computers?

A: “I understand why administration blocks some sites. It is easy to get distracted during class. But at the same time, when I run out of work to do I wish I could watch Netflix or play a game.”

Q: So what do you do when you run out of school work?

A: “Well, some websites aren’t blocked like 2048 cupcakes, Youtube, and Buzzfeed. There are others, but I won’t name them.”

After chatting with Aidan, I learned there are many entertaining websites out there that haven’t been blocked. This discovery made me wonder if people have found any other loopholes to get around computer bans. Later that day, I was talking to an underclassmen who, shockingly enough, told me some about a system that unblocks every website. How was I just learning about this wonderful invention? After observing the system in action, I realized I was missing out. My classmate had access to every single blocked website: Facebook, Instagram, Netflix, and even “Unblocked Game World!” I figured I wasn’t the only one who was unaware of this system, so I asked around. As it turns out, most people didn’t know about it. When I asked them if they would download it, most people said they were too afraid of administration monitoring their computers, which is a valid fear. Administration is notorious for calling students to the office for texting or going on Buzzfeed during class, or at least that’s the rumor. 

Now that Oakland Catholic has moved online, I suppose computer monitoring no longer applies. So it looks like I’ll be spending my free time playing Polly Party Pickup!