Hybrid Learning Opinion

Erin Gurtner '23, Staff Writer

From hearing feedback from my classmates, I would say that most students prefer the hybrid model, and I would have to agree. There are many advantages and disadvantages that go along with it. But for all of us, it will be strange going back fully in person and seeing the other cohort.

An advantage of the hybrid model is sleeping in on the days of virtual learning and Wednesdays, which will still stay in president. Other advantages would be minimal contact with people and staying socially distant. Being separated in half allows for less interaction, which can reduce the spread. There is also the chance of meeting new friends who are in your cohort that you may not have talked to previously. 

The disadvantages include staring at computer screens for a long time, on the virtual days. Most teachers are also making the majority of their assignments electronically, which makes for more exposure to a computer screen for a long duration.  There also is not much interaction with friends in the other cohort. There is also the risk of obesity with minimal exercise on virtual days and being surrounded by food at home. Another disadvantage is not being able to ask your teacher questions in person until three or four days have passed.  

Overall hybrid learning has its advantages and disadvantages. Most students like this model, but their opinion might change whenever we go fully in person.