Saluting the Salutatorian: Olivia Smathers!

Meghan Pavlick '21, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Olivia Smathers has been named salutatorian for the class of 2021! Congratulations to Olivia for all of her hard work over the past four years. I had the privilege of interviewing Olivia about her achievements and time here at OC! 

How did you feel when you learned you were this year’s salutatorian?

Olivia: I was scared because they called me down to the office and told me! After that, I was surprised because I didn’t think for a second that it could be me. Everyone seems to have really high GPAs here. 

What sports or clubs did you participate in during your years at OC? 

Olivia: Well I have done a lot of debate. I would say about 90% of my time was debate. I also dedicated time to Model UN, newspaper, which I joined last year, and French club which has been on hiatus.  

How did you deal with the stress of balancing schoolwork, extracurriculars, and other responsibilities?

Olivia: Well I don’t have a lot of insight. School just doesn’t stress me out that much because I know it’s all gonna be okay. I think about how it doesn’t really matter in the long run and it’s all going to be okay. I also like to learn, so I don’t let school or stress get to me. When it does, I go to sleep.   

What classes would you recommend at OC or did you enjoy the most?

Olivia: My favorite class is AP French that I took last year, but probably because it was just me and Madame, so it was like a private lesson. I also like Calc because it is really satisfying, so I would highly recommend taking that.   

Are there any particular classes, teachers, or clubs that really developed your passion?

Olivia: I would say that debate has probably helped me develop a lot of interest in the world around me and my desire to learn about the world. It has inspired me to go into a career that has a global impact.  

What are your plans for the future?

Olivia: That’s a good question! I plan on going to Georgetown, but I am not sure about my major. I know I want to do something with an international focus to expand my worldview. I am torn because I really like STEM, but I don’t want to work in a lab.  

What is your best advice for underclassmen regarding academics or just overall at OC?

Olivia: I would say just do your homework when you get it or within a reasonable time. I procrastinated a lot sophomore year and it was terrible. 

What is your fondest memory from high school?

Olivia: Probably all of the Model UN and debate trips would be my favorite memory. I don’t know how I could choose just one! I think when the debate team went to Chicago would be my favorite though. I really enjoyed spending 8 hours in a van with the team and Mrs. Rinkacs and Sam.     

Another big congrats to another member of the OC Eagle Eye, Olivia, for all of her hard work and dedication!