2021 Virtual Honors Convocation

Bella White '23, Assistant Arts and Entertainment Editor

On April 22, 2021, Oakland Catholic held a hybrid ceremony to commemorate the academic achievements of its students. The festivities took place in the Donahue Pavillion unlike in previous years when it had taken place in Synod Hall. Prior to the ceremony, the students who were being recognized were sent an invitation in the mail and a follow-up email inviting them to RSVP for in-person attendance. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, friends and family and those unable to attend were able to watch and participate via a professional live stream. Around 6:30 pm, those being recognized processed in and President Kasunic gave her opening remarks. After that, President Bragg and Assistant Principal Powell recognized the National and Community Awards. Next, they turned over the microphone to President Kasunic who announced the senior scholarship awards. She began by announcing that from the 78% of the class of 2021 that they had heard from, the class of 2021 had won over $30,685,763 in scholarships to various colleges and universities. The President’s Award for Educational Excellence came next, recognizing each senior for their outstanding academic accomplishments throughout their high school career. The next awards recognized were the Academic department awards, The Thomas J.M. Freyvogel Award, the Oakland Catholic Award, the Cindy McNulty Global Citizen Award, the Principal’s Award, and the President’s Award. Finally, Principal Bragg announced the class of 2021 Salutatorian as Olivia Smathers and the Valedictorian as the Eagle Eye’s own Editor-in-Chief, Annie Snyder. President Kasunic closed out by leading everyone in one last round of applause to congratulate everyone’s hard work and dedication to the academic mission of Oakland Catholic.

For more detailed information on awards, see here:

https://www.oaklandcatholic.org/academics/honors-convocation