2015 Tennis Recap

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tennis_Racket_and_Balls.jpg

Hannah Collins '18, Staff Writer

Game, Set, Match! Our OC Tennis teams had great seasons under the new leadership of JV coach Pam McCrory and Varsity coach Joe Camillo. Varsity players: Caroline Ciocco, Hannah Collins, Grace Covatto, Megan Cyterski, Natalie Cyterski, Giovanna Elo, Emma Hoover, Olivia Kolesar, Melanie Long, Olivia Martini, Bella Possino, and Abigail Staskiewicz. JV players: Vienza Barboza, Josie Cost, Belle Cromer, Mia Hess, Jessica Huang, Maggie Mann, Mary McCarthy, Jordan Petrishen, Smiley Qian, Isabelle Schmeler, Katherine Smith, Anna Spanos, Luisa Watkins, and Tess Zentarsky.

The players started official training at the beginning of August at Green Oaks Country Club.Almost every day in the hot sun, the teams worked hard to prepare for the upcoming season and to improve the various aspects of their games: forehands, backhands, serves, overheads, volleys, singles, doubles, strategy, and more. Junior Olivia Kolesar says, “This summer, at the beginning of training, I was really unsure about how the season would go, but it turned out to be my favorite season yet. I love tennis!”

As for the season, sophomores Josie Cost and Isabelle Schmeler led the JV with an awesome record, and the team beat some strong schools. Varsity also had an awesome season. The team won some great matches against Woodland Hills, Penn Hills, Baldwin, and more and qualified for the WPIAL playoffs! On October 12, the Varsity team had a tough loss to Peters Township in the first round of the playoffs. Melanie Long, the team’s only senior, will definitely be missed. Junior Emma Hoover and Sophomore Abigail Staskiewicz add, “Mel has always been super supportive and really kind to everyone on the team. We will definitely miss her next year!” After a lot of training this winter, spring, and summer, hopefully the team (with 7 rising seniors) will come back stronger than ever. As Caroline Ciocco would say, “It’s a great day to be an eagle!”