OC Winter Sports

Bridget Deasy ’18, Staff Writer

As the winter approaches, OC’s winter sports get ready to kick off their season and showcase their hard work. Basketball, cheerleading, fencing, and swimming have been perfecting their game during the past couple of months and are finally ready to unleash their skills and compete.

The cheerleading team has been perfecting its routine since the beginning of the school year. The girls competed in their first competition of the season on November 19 at the IUP PA State Cheerleading Championship. The team placed 6th overall, battling through a sound system error when their music stopped. The cheer squad said that they were able to overcome it when the crowd started counting to help them keep the beat! They still have four more competitions ahead of them, starting again on December 10th at the Pitt Cheerleading Championship. Head Coach Sirockman and Assistant Coach S. look forward to the rest of their season!

The basketball team is anxiously awaiting its tip-off tournament and first game of the year. Oakland Catholic is well-known for its aggressive and ferocious basketball team. The team will get to see new teams this year, since the WPIAL sections shifted. Oakland Catholic now belongs to WPIAL Class 5A in Section 2, playing against Gateway, McKeesport, Thomas Jefferson, West Mifflin, and Woodland Hills. Oakland Catholic will be hosting the annual tip-off tournament starting December 10th. Through the blood, sweat, and tears, it is safe to say that OC’s basketball team is out for a section title and beyond this season. They head to Disney World in Florida the day after Christmas to play against some of the best teams around the nation in the KSA Disney World Tournament. Their home games are played in our very own gym here at Oakland Catholic on Thursdays. The JV game tip-offs are at 6pm, and varsity games begin at 7:30.

The fencing team is super excited to kick off the season this winter. Head Coach Charles Murphy stands confident behind his quick, nimble, and athletic fencing team. This mentally and physically challenging sport takes much practice to perfect the use of the epee.

Oakland Catholic’s swim team has never been more motivated after watching our own Leah Smith ’13 dominate the 2016 Rio Olympics, winning gold in the 4×200 relay and bronze in 400m freestyle. Her success has Oakland Catholic’s swimmers and divers more driven than ever this season. The OC students combine with the Central Catholic Vikings to form an indestructible varsity threat. They use Duquesne University’s Division I pool to prepare for their meets. The swim team is one of the teams to keep an eye on this winter season.

The fall sports left giant shoes to fill, since they all qualified for WPIAL playoffs. We’ll have to watch and see what the winter sports can do this season. They’re working hard to prepare for the season, so don’t miss your chance to watch the winter sports compete!