The OC Step Team

Maggie Leone, Sports Editor '17

The Oakland Catholic Step Team, officially known as H.Y.P.E., standing for Humble Young Professional Elite, is an OC community favorite.  Step is all about creating a beat and maintaining it, all while using the body as the instrument; it’s a dance team with rhythms.  All movement and music come from the steppers themselves – a true feat.  The girls put so much energy into their routine, and thus the school community is able to feel the electrifying energy during performances and yearn to be a part of it as well, which is exactly what makes the team so popular.  The captain, senior Na’Taya Richardson, usually comes up with the routine, but it is often a collaborative effort. Miss Hudock, the team’s faculty moderator, says that she loves seeing the girls learn new routines: they start off slow, help each other, grow in courage, and by the time they perform, they exude confidence.  She loves watching this incredible transformation.  The team performs at the OC Back to School Picnic, Spirit Week, all home varsity basketball games, Dancing with the Vikings, and some all-school assemblies.  They have also performed at Pitt, Carlow, Chatham, Plum, and the Steel City Step Shows in the past. Come see the Oakland Catholic Step Team! It’s an experience you won’t want to miss!