Swish and Flick: Fencing Team Goes to Playoffs

Clara Albacete, Arts and Entertainment Editor ‘19

On Friday March 3, the OC Fencing team participated in their final tournament of the year. Up until this point the fencing team had been meeting victory after victory, landing them second place in the section. (Their only loss was against Peters Township). The top four teams go to the playoffs, an intense night of fencing where any one of the four teams can take home the trophy.

After a close win against Alderdice two weeks before, the fencing team walked into Oakland’s Auxiliary Gym feeling nervous but very excited to face their foes in the first round of eliminations. Whoever won this round of bouts would go on to fight for first place against Peters Township or Pine Richland. Whoever lost would call it a night and go home proud but also disappointed.

The competition started roughly for the Eagles as the first three bouts ended in losses (to win, one team has to win five out of nine bouts). Then the tides turned and the Eagles won three, tying the score. Allderdice took another, the Eagles tied it again. In the final, tense bout, Alderdice took home the win, leaving the Eagles disappointed and not very ready to “fly”.

However, despite this frustrating loss, the fencing team should be extremely proud of themselves for a very successful season.

Junior Olympian Sophomore Rachael Kate Yanalitis had an outstanding season with only one loss. Sophomore Alexandra Ravano, Junior Smiley Qian, and Senior Caroline Sculimbrene contributed hugely to this winning season, producing many wins for team. The OC Fencing team has had a great season and we can’t wait to see how much they will improve next season!

Great job ladies!! Go Eagles!

Pictured:

Rachael Kate Yanalitis ‘19

Caroline Sculimbrene ‘17

Smiley Qian ‘18

Alexandra Ravano ‘19